Chapter 12: I Love You

[Chris's perspective] I slept well for the first time this week. It looked like The Demon did too. His hair looked super frizzy.

I guess I've never seen him sleep before. "Good morning," I wake up The Demon. "I'm going to get some breakfast."

"Could you bring me a blueberry muffin," he shakes his hair.

"Yes, I can." I throw my clothes back on.

I went downstairs and got the food. The Demon ate quickly. "I'll go check out for us. We should be home by 3 at the latest." We met back in the car. Once we get back to the Korean shop the old lady walked us upstairs.

"Here you are," she says in English.

Kory awaits us at a table. "Mae Yung told me you asked for me. Welcome back K..."

"Don't say my name," The Demon interrupts.

"Sorry. I suppose you finally want me to pay the favor." The Demon passes the book. "Father's Spear. A classic."

"So what's the job."

"I need you to analyze it for me," I ask nicely.

"And you're the Savior that everyone's talking about."

"I wouldn't say that," I awkwardly laugh.

Kory puts his hands on the books with his eyes closed. His eyes open bright yellow. "I see it all. Wide and tall. Life. No matter how good we are. No matter what good we do. The world will still fuck us over. When someone loves someone all they can do is show unconditional love. At times we are given this "love" people may speak about. But what does it all mean? Nothing because someway love is nothing but a word not a true feeling or emotion."

"All Kaluas did was work hard for his family day and night and in return, he receives nothing but hatred. This alone could come from the world, his wife, even from himself. We all have that word, it burns inside of us. When you love someone so much or work hard for something good it feels like your getting nothing."

"This book tells the tale of darkness surrounding love. It can be good or evil, it depends on who you are and how you make it out to be."

"That sounds terrible," I perceive. "At times I do catch myself doing that. When you work so hard for something and you get nothing in return. It feels pointless and brings my spirit down. I mean you did all that for nothing."

"You sound quiet over there," Kory speaks to The Demon.

"What about the demon who possessed the man's soul? Who is he representing?"

"Not sure. He's like a character added to a show for no particular reason. He's just there."

"If I had to explain maybe the demon related to Kaluas. There's another tale of a man in love with a woman he knew he couldn't have. Like when your mother tells you not to eat another slice of cake. He treated her right, loved her, showed her nothing but kindness. Yet, the world took her away," Kory goes on.

"The thing about the story is no one knows the origins or the full story at all. No details, it just randomly repeats itself in history books. Like it's trying to remind of something we all need to know. We all become a monster when we lose something."

"That story sounds familiar," The Demon taps his finger on the table."

"Some say it's the story of Satan. The king of hell. There are many stories about him but some are just untold other are untrue," Kory finishes.

"Kory we need to talk privately," The Demon made known.

"Alright. It was nice meeting you, Chris," Kory shakes my hand.