CH 41 - Silence

Rome POV

I lean against the wall, waiting for the pounding in my head to stop. The halls were empty, all was silent as the last of the song finished echoing in the air. I came for my appointment, why was someone blasting music in the hospital? It was strange, not even a nurse came by in the time I was here. Now the music stopped, so did my headache.

I hear light footsteps and two small figures run past me, heading away from the staircase where I was going. One was Simi, the other the duck she brought to P'Bright to have treated. It turns out, he did pass and is a vet.

"Follow that girl and the flapping duck," Beam yells running past.

I should ignore him, I learned a lot about him from our drinking night and the Princess Group, I should go the other way. I take a few steps, but my curiosity makes me stop, I turn around and follow. I find Beam staring inside what looks like a supplies closet, his mouth open and soon see why.

"Why is there a shiny portal in the closet of your hospital doc?"

I watched sci-fi, who didn't and that was definitely a portal of some kind.

"Let's go through and find out." He sounds excited. "Be prepared, for anything."

"Are you insane?" I grab his arm. "Do you not watch horror movies? The side character always gets killed when they go through."

"Don't worry, I will protect you." He grins.

"I meant you."

"Hey! That's rude. I'm the hero." Beam grabs my arm. "Come on, we have to save the kids."

"Shouldn't we call security?" I try reason again.

"They are all asleep." Beam glares. "The idiots can't handle the music, good thing Simi warned me, and I shoved wool into my ears, or I would be asleep too."

I'm pulled through before I can protest. This couldn't be real. I wasn't feeling well, leaning against the wall I must have fainted, and this is all an illusion...that's very bright, mostly white walls and what looks like glass rooms holding...people. Walls covered with monitors, showing different rooms on the far wall.

"P'Beam." A young voice gets our attention. "This one, it's this one."

Simi is standing near a glass door not far, there is a sleeping woman inside. The room has a small folder clipped to the door, Beam frowns reading what it says. He moves around and reads a few more.

"Humans." He sounds surprised. "They are all humans."

"Why are you more shocked than me?" I ask looking around, but see no one. "You said to be prepared for anything."

Did he see things like this often? I recently found out about Vampires and Demons; this was new to me.

"Well, yes but I was not prepared for a secret warehouse with humans being experimented on."

"What were you expecting? Vampires and bears?"

"Vampires and ducks."

"Duckie says we should hide." Simi looks up at us. "Quickly."

Beam and I look at the duck, when did it talk?

"This place might not be good." Beam takes out his phone. "I'm calling my minions."

"Do they have sharp teeth and red glowing eyes?"

"Yes! Did sensei get you, minions, too?"

"Is that them?" I point to two guys who appeared on one of the screens.