CH 10 - Smoke

Bright POV

Moments you spend with the person you care for, simple words, soft gestures, deepens your bond and they say love follows. Let me tell you know, they outright lie! Love would follow if you managed something, what happens when you don't?

I tried to hold his hand, he slapped it away. I gave him drinks he didn't take them, food he ignored and when I tried to start a conversation the little brat sitting across from us kept throwing hula hoops at me and Rome wouldn't let me throw them back!

I offered my shoulder if he was sleepy, he used his travel cushion and leaned against the glass window instead. Come on, my shoulder is definitely much more comfortable! And that darn human kid needs to be locked in a tower until he learns manners before being let out!

The hotel he booked was cheap, I wanted to mention the house I owned nearby but Nami forbid it. No mix up happened with the rooms so we couldn't share and when I tried to give the brat behind the counter money to make it happen, she told Rome!

I followed when he went out to take pictures but he was pretending he didn't see me. I don't know what kind of things Godt has been reading but none of it works. Romance is dead people. It's dead!

"Stop following me."

"I don't know where to go, I'll get lost." I gave him a sad look; I knew this would work.

"Why did you come? go back to the hotel."

I'm losing my touch...why now?

"I just want to walk with you." He turns to glare at me. "I won't say a word."

He carries on taking pictures but I see his head turn often. What are you hoping to see Rome? That I'm gone or still here? The town was covered with lanterns, every vendor, house, building old and knew adorned with them.

He smiles and laughs as he stops to take pictures, watching the people around him. It was nice to see him relaxed and happy. I peer over his shoulder when he takes a break and looks through the shots he's taken. My eyes are old, I'm meant to see more but what he captures is unique. Did we both walk down the same street?

"You got better." I remember seeing a happy smile on his face whenever he had a camera in his hand. "I always liked your pictures, seeing the world through your eyes. It's nice."

"We see the same things." I can hear the change in his voice, he's pleased.

"I see smoke, paper and illusion." I tell him honestly. "You see light, wonder and joy. Sometimes you overlook them."

"What?"

"The simple things that make you happy."

He is quiet for a while as he looks back at the camera.

"Was I really an experiment...?" Good, let's get this out of the way.

"No." I put my head on his shoulder. "I'm sorry the words ever came out of my mouth."

"Why are you doing this now?" He asks. "I'm engaged."

If that word has meaning, why do you sound pained when you say it? I want to stay here with you, will you let me?

"You always did things to make your father happy." He told me once. "The university, the degree, your friends, were all arranged for you. Isn't this also?"

"Except..."

"Except...?" I put my chin on his shoulder and look at him.

"You."

There it was, the spark in his eyes. His lips touch mine only for a second, soft and hesitant. I watch him as I pull him close again, his heart races as this time I kiss him. He lets out a sigh before kissing me back. Maybe romance wasn't dead after all.

+++

A figure stands near a lantern booth, a phone in his hand as he takes pictures of the couple sitting on a corner bench, kissing. He sends the pictures to the women who hired him and waits; it isn't long before more instructions follow. He grins as he reads, he had to get the boys, it was going to be a fun night.

~~~~~~~~~~

Kong POV

I walked through the silent lobby heading for the lift, the project assignments kept me busy but I was hoping P'Arthit was still here, I wanted to see him.

Getting nearer his office door I slowed down holding tight to the flowers in my hand, taking a deep breath, it was strange. Since the night I got drunk, there was a strange feeling inside, as though I was caught on something and couldn't break free.

"I will be happy when Wayo returns." I can hear him sigh. "Anything from my father?"

"Not yet." A girl's voice answers. "Your grandfather wants to see you before returning."

"Cancel everything the moment he arrives." P'Arthit tells her. "I want to speak to...Kongpob?"

He is already at the door to his office when I look up, he knew I was here?

"I brought you cake." I show him the bag but his attention is on the flowers. "And these."

I can see his jacket and tie lying on the arm of the sofa as I look around his office. I take off mine too, placing them with his. Everything is immaculate, white and steel. His assistant places two plates and forks on the table, along with a vase before leaving the room. His fingers caress the petals as he smiles softly.

"Am I disturbing your work?" I ask seeing files still open.

"You are welcome anytime."

"You might get tired if I come so often." I chuckle.

"I wish...I could see you more."

I take a seat next to him. There is so much longing in his words, it makes my heart ache to hear it.

"P'Arthit, you're doing it again."

"What?"

"Watching me as though I might vanish."

I close my eyes as his hand caresses my cheek.

"Sometimes I think...you might be a dream."

"P'Arthit, you're flirting with me."

"I don't know how." His voice going quiet. "Seeing you, just makes me...happy."

My heart beats faster, his words like a balm. We met not long ago, so why did it feel as though I waited so long to hear the words? I want to kiss him so badly, to hear his breathless voice whisper my name as he longs for his next breath. My thumb tracing his lips, why did it feel as though I knew how soft they would be?

I move closer, my hand slowly moving across his chest, to wrap around his neck and stop him moving away. My lips only a breath away when he whispers my name.... the loud noise of a phone makes us jump part.

I look around for my jacket, annoyed, finding my phone and pulling it out, I sigh when I see Nami's name flashing, why did she have such bad timing?

~~~

A lamppost light blinks on a silent country road, it flickers a few times, landing on broken objects left by passing drivers, no longer wanted. It lands on a broken shard of an old mirror, blinking in the darkening night.

A dark cloud forming inside, it swirls gaining mass as it gets closer to the edge and seeps through the surface. The lamppost sparks, shattering as the mist begins to take shape. It becomes a shadow of a bird before it becomes real, taking flight. Red eyes burned in the dark, as the dark energy once again began its search.