CH 7 - Dark

Man in the suit

He paced the room waiting, looked at his phone again but still nothing. It was tiring to rely on people but he needed to stay hidden for now. He looked to the far wall covered in clippings, notes and at the centre a picture of the manger of Harrow Construction, Kongpob Surtiluck. He was the biggest problem.

He was a professional, went in sabotaged a company enough so it could be easily sold or liquidated, until this one. He looked at the picture right of the manager, Forth, his surname was fake and there was hardly any information available about him. How did this nobody always manage to track me?

He looked at his phone when it beeped, finally information. He cursed when he saw the new plans Surtiluck was putting into place, a project for the Panitchayasawad. God damn them, the people who hired him wouldn't be happy.

He tapped on the pictures that came in, his heart nearly stopped when he saw a new figure talking to Surtiluck. It couldn't be. He ran to the other room, opening drawers, flinging out everything looking for the wooden box. It couldn't be, it couldn't be.

Finding it he opened it quickly, unrolling the old portrait and inhaling sharply. The room span, he fell to the ground as true fear set in. He had to let his employer know, he was back. Arthit was back.

~~~~~~~~~

Kong POV

"He owns it Em." I tell my oldest friend. "My house."

"What a coincidence." He says after some thought.

He never believed in them and I had a little difficulty accepting it too. There was something about P'Arthit, something magical. I looked at my finger, no bleeding or even a scar to show it had been cut yesterday morning but I knew it had. I close my eyes when a word flickered thought my mind, Dhampir. What did that mean?

"Are you playing?" Em asks. "I've never seen you interested in anyone before."

"I have never met anyone like him before." I can't help the smile. "Is it playing if I want to make him mine?"

"Be happy." His voice is sincere. "You have waited long to be, and I will be grateful to see it."

The entrance of Em's fiancé halts the rest of our talk, we both stand, May hurrying to kiss Em's cheek before hugging me.

"It's great to see you Kong." She smiles taking a seat. "My mother has gone insane with the wedding planning, I'm the bride but I'll be lucky to have a say in my own dress. I need you to charm her, there is no way I'm having you and Em in purple tuxes for the wedding."

Em and I share a look.

"Tell her you have a plus one, or she is already planning to introduce you to at least 4 of her friends' daughters for the wedding." May carries on unaware her husband's still not recovered from the purple tux information. "More importantly, tell me about the Coffee Guy."

+++

Everything ached and burned, a fire seeping through me making me gasp for air. Shards of pain pierced my body as I waited in the darkness for it to end. This is why I hated it; it always came in the night. The pain and the dark not letting go, let me rest.

I hear soft words like rain that slakes the fire in my veins. As the flames subside the cold begins to seep in. I sit in bed feeling the warmth on my back and the hands that rubbed my arm to warm me. The old scenario playing in my mind.

"It's okay Kong..." The voice is soft as always. "It's okay.

"When did you get here Em?"

"A little while ago." He pulls the blanket around me. "I was worried."

"Sleep a while Kong." Em told me. "I'll stay with you."

"I wish...P'Arthit was here." I manage the words, even my old friend's comforting voice sounded like his to my ears.

"I am here Kongpob."

I open my eyes slowly, still dazed, to see his worried face looking at me. Was I still in the nightmare? But if he was a part of it then it was truly becoming a dream.

"Are you really here?"

"You forgot the papers..." He looks away. "I heard noises...the door was open..."

I didn't forget the papers; they had already been processed and sent. An old habit, my door was never open.

"Does this happen frequently?" He looked around. "Do you need medicine...? Where?"

"Every so often and I took something for the pain." I tell him. "It comes on nights with no moon."

"No way to stop it?"

"My grandfather had a way, but he is...gone."

I turn my head when he stays silent, the look in his eye's makes my heartache. I push him back, my body covering his, but exhaustion takes hold before I can do anything. Laying my head on his chest. I didn't know how you were here, but I would keep you with me.

"It's a nightmare P." I hug him. "That's all."

Always the same, cold, dark place and I'm alone. A chill that runs deep into my soul, taking the light and leaving it hollow.

"Let me get something to warm you..." He starts to move when I shudder.

"You're warm." I hold him tighter breathing him in. "Stay with me P, don't go."

"I'm here."

His fingers hesitant before they gently rub my back, my eyes burn as emotions threaten to overwhelm me. Having you close, holding you, seeing you was making it all bearable.

"Are you playing with me?"

"What...?"

"We have only known each other a few days, but I...I'm beginning to like you." I whisper. "I don't know if you feel the same or if you are going with the flow again..."

"Kongpob...I..."

"Don't leave me p."

I don't think my heart could take it.

"I..."

"So tired..." I'm afraid to hear his answer.

"...Then sleep."

I moved my head looking at him sadly. "I'm scared of the dark..."

Was I asking for too much?

"I'll stay with you." He answered gently. "Sleep."

~~~~~~~~~

Em leaned against the wall outside Kong's door, the keys in his hand. There was no moon tonight he was worried and came to check on his friend. He stood silently as he listened, the door was locked. He saw no one, as he was about to enter, he heard the new voice.

He listened for a few minutes; Kong never let anyone stay with him on the nights when there was no moon. His grandfather and I being the only exceptions, until now. Taking out his phone he sent a text.

Em: Find out everything you can about Arthit Panitchayasawad.

<>: Problem?

Em: He is not human.

Em moved away from the wall, turning to look at the door. They needed to make arrangements to, accidentally, meet Arthit and his friends. Whoever you are, don't hurt Kong. He's more fragile than anyone realises.