CH 38 - Nightmare

Poppy.

An elegantly furnished room lit with oil lamps that radiated a warm glow in the cold night. A soft swish of silk on thick carpets echoed in the room as the lady walked slowly back and forth, her eyes wandering to the table every so often.

From the look of fear on her face, one would assume something dangerous sat on the varnished wood. Waiting to strike at any moment, but it only held a letter, carrying a name written in elegant script.

Whatever was inside could destroy everything, again. All her hopes and dreams would vanish if he saw it. Wasn't she entitled to love, wasn't she entitled to have her dreams come true? That little girl had her chance and she didn't want him. Why would she write it now?

Poppy walked to the table, taking the letter she threw it in the fire. She was done waiting, now it was her turn. They would leave, never to meet again, he would never know she wrote to him. The last remnants were gone when the Master returned. She welcomed him, saying nothing more.

Poppy sat up abruptly, looking around the dark for something. Her flailing hands caught; her figure enveloped in a familiar embrace. A voice reassuring her all was well.

"There was a letter, she told you..."

"Poppy, it's okay..."

"There was a letter... she told you about Yo. I...I burnt it..."

"You didn't..."

"I... he would have been with you sooner. I stopped it..." Her voice panicking.

"Poppy listen to me. The moment you found out about Wayo; you went to save him. If you didn't, Wayo wouldn't have made it. I wouldn't have my son."

"But I..."

"It's a lie Poppy. It's the demon's trick."

"Demon...?"

"You would never do anything to hurt the boys. No one knows that better than me."

"But...I..."

"He's trying to plant a seed; you know what that is."

"A...false memory to control someone..."

She saw it then, the Masters eyes were red, the mist surrounding them both as he fought the hold. A lie. She didn't hurt Yo, she couldn't. She closed her eyes, holding onto him as the fear began to ease. The scene playing in her mind, slowly beginning to fade. As she slept, it disappeared from her mind, the lie being replaced once again with the truth.

The same scene played again, the writing on the letter changing to Poppy's, who contemplated her next move. She couldn't be selfish, she had to try. Mind made, she called a servant to deliver it to Mei. A way for the young girl to find them, if ever she truly needed to.

~~~~~~~~~~

Nami & Grandpa Kongtanin

"Nami...Nami...wake up."

She sat up, drenched in sweat. A voice still whispering into her mind.

Your fault. It was all your fault.

She held onto the strong arm, letting the powerful presence reassure her and fill her with its warmth.

"My fault..."

She whispered, the scene still playing in her mind. It felt real but she knew it wasn't what really happened. It was distorted, making her watch as P'New called for her help but she stayed hidden. It made her watch as they turned him.