CH 37 - Daylight

The Mistress (Leader of Apep)

"Do not offer me pointless excuses." The Mistress's rises. "Do not forget, where your current status and power came from."

"I will do what I can." The man offered. "But that many..."

"There is always someone willing to sell their souls, for something."

"A life of riches." The man answered. "They want to live to see..."

"Lie." Her voice uncaring. "I do not care what you promise them, as long as I get what I need."

"Why not let the demon fend for himself?"

This is why idiots like him stayed low on the food chain, they never knew how to use something to their advantage.

"He isn't just any demon but a Demon Lord." She told him. "He is going to wipe out a lot of very powerful vampires. Ones, currently standing in my way."

"They always want something in return..." The man tried a warning again.

"I know what to give in return, just do your end."

"Are you sure you're not overestimating him? He's hurt, he couldn't even fight one person. Only escaping in the end."

"He didn't escape just anyone." She chuckled. "He escaped, Her."

The man turned pale, he knew instantly who, Her, was. None of their people ever saw Her, and if they did, they saw nothing else again. The man asked no more questions, getting to work. She ignored him as he made calls, his only use was his obedience.

The demon would be around for a while; co-operating will be useful for now. If he manages his task, he could be a powerful connection. If not, well, it isn't hard to find someone else to use. She had access to the vampire network, the people she spent years looking for were all in her grasp.

Finding humans compatible with vampire blood, to turn or make into Thralls was becoming more difficult. Blood types and magic was not the answer, it was something else and that old fool decades ago found it.

After searching for so long she managed to find a list of families he used as Thralls, the answer had to be with one of them. There was something else in the fragments she found. It made little sense but looked important.

Unfortunately, panichisawad got to the research before their people. They managed to find many of her vampires last time but Apep's roots were much deeper. For now, she needed the answer of bloodlines, having a supply of Thralls would give her leverage. Once she found out how the Demon Lord managed to get to Her, the rest would fall into place.

"He has it." The mans loud voice getting her attention. "That boy, Rome. He has the box."

~~~~~~~~~~

Kong POV

Light fluttered and faded, shadows filling the room. A figure stood amid the swirling mist, his eyes crimson, his hand moving as he commanded the darkness. The shadows rippling with his fingers as they spread like silk and slipped into ever crevasse, like water.

The hum toning down, until nothing was left. The shadows moved quickly, returning to their master. The light coming in again, the figure moved slowly, his eyes the last thing to turn back. I slipped my hand into Arthit's, a little afraid to open the door.

P'Arthit moved forward, squeezing my hand, he opened the door and we took a few steps outside. Without the hum of magic everything hit me at once, I clutched my head, closing my eyes tightly against the sun.