CH 49 - Lord

Hollow

A shallow cave, barren, coated with ash, the only light from the body that withered on the floor, marked with a circle. Fire seeped in through the painted circle, lighting the symbols as the body charred and burned from the dragon fire.

It moved a little more, then lay motionless on the glowing circle. No life, small pieces of coal breaking away and falling, turning to ash. The circle pulsed with purple light and everything moved as though time was reversed. The ash became coal, became a body and it once again moved.

A spider's web shook in a small forgotten corner, the spider scurrying away quickly, lowering itself to the ground. A single silver thread pulled away from the web, following the spider as it made its way into the daylight and heading for its master.

A figure in a dark coat waited, her open hair moving in the light breeze, hand outstretched as the thread settled into her palm. Her eyes shimmered green, she sighed as the web dispersed. Best to let the others know, she was looking forward to seeing Kong.

~~~~~~~~~~

Kong POV

Water trickles down, echoing as it hits the rocks below, the surrounding abuzz with noise from the small creatures and the fragrance of honeysuckle fills the air. Magic swirls as an array appear at the base of the waterfall and five figures emerge, walking across the magic in different directions to stand.

It had been a long time since this place was used, the Mage's Grotto, deep in the heart of the world. Created by the elders, a place of magic protected so they could hold council. In safety and secretly. The old man had been busy, leaving clues and the array.

The Grotto was the heart of magic in this world, its power healed and soothed those that entered here. I left Arthit to spend time with his father while I talked with the others. The magic holding Rojnapat was old and beginning to fray, he had a purpose for being here but it would end soon.

A second array appears, a lone figure appears. She walks across the magic, her eyes misty but her smile joyful as she pulls me into a hug, which I return. How long was it since I last saw her?

"It's been a while."

"Let's not leave it so long again." She returns the greeting with a smile.

"Hey Prae." Oak waved. "Looking good, like always."

"It is good to see you all together." She greets the others, taking a moment to hug each of them. "Really good."

Mages lived a strange life, meeting and parting as lives came and went. No matter when or where my friends and I managed to find each other and meet. Last time, only Em came alone but now we were together again. Only one was missing, but she would come in time.

"We have Earl's here." Wad looked excited. "Can we roast the demon now?"

"Slight problem." Oak looked around. "Kong is still nourishing and Prae had to sacrifice half her power to cross the magic plains."

"It's more annoying than I remember, I nearly lost my way." Prae tells us. "But a path witch sent me a songbird."

Nami was exceptional for her age, it would be interesting to watch her grow.

"Something tells me, you don't bring good news?" Em asks when Prae takes her place in the circle. "How bad is it?"

Prae raises her hand, a silver thread in her palm. An array appears beneath the waterfall once more, the silver thread moving to its centre and sending ripples outwards, the gathered closes their eyes as they listen.