CH 4 - Coffee

Kong POV

You are mine.

Soft words, whispered, echoed through my mind. A voice that was becoming familiar, even though it was a fantasy of my own making and nothing but a nightly dream. Gentle fingers caressing my face, caring hands making sure I was warm as they pulled the blanket around him.

When I opened my eyes, wanting to see who whispered to me so lovingly, it only proved I was dreaming. Every time we met, he wouldn't let go of my hand, now in my dreams, his face came often. P'Arthit, what are you doing to me?

They didn't manage to get a coffee; he had an important meeting. First time since he took over Harrow Construction, he regretted his decision to be the Manager. He picked up the glass, downing the contents in one go.

"Earth to Kong..." Oak's annoying voice interrupts my thoughts. "Are you hearing me?"

"Why do you look ready to bang your head on the table?" Em asks taking a seat and calling the waiter. "Bad day?"

"He's thinking of someone." Oak answers sipping his drink. "Em, old mate, you missed it."

"Who?" Em asks curiously.

"The coffee guy." Wad pats my shoulder while Tew laughs.

"I was only gone a few days, what happened?"

"There is a guy. A pretty cute one at that." Oak laughed. "He loves our Kong's hand."

"He holds it." Wad grabbed Tew's arm dramatically. "And never wants to let go."

"The one from the wedding?"

"You know about it?"

"He told me." Em takes his drink. "It happened again?"

"Yes, and Kong wanted coffee in return. He even agreed but we had a meeting so. No coffee."

"He's persistent though." Tew laughed. "He came by again today with papers."

Em is ready to ask but a look from me silences him. I would explain later without the drunks.

"Yes, papers." Oak nodded. "You could tell he wanted to take Kong, but we had the emergency board meeting."

"2 strikes Kong." Wad laughs. "One more and it is the end."

"Game over dude."

Not a chance you drunk; I would find a way. Why was it so hard to have one cup of coffee with him?

~~~~~~~~~~

Rome POV

I tapped my finger on the table, he still wasn't here. I arrived early, not because I was looking forward to this but I wanted it over and done with. I look at the ring on my finger and sigh. It was cold and had no meaning.

Looking at the cake in front of me, a memory flickers through my mind. The couple from the cake shop, talking so lovingly as they tried different slices before choosing their wedding cake, and he, had gone with his grandmother. I curse silently when a picture of me trying cakes with P'Pick flashes through my mind. As though my life wasn't complicated enough, why did he have to show up, especially now?

When my phone buzzes, I sigh in relief reading the text. He couldn't make it, lunch was cancelled. Paying, I left the expensive restaurant heading for my car. What are you doing Rome, how can you marry someone you don't even feel comfortable around?

"Remember your duty. If not to me, remember her."

He put his head on the steering wheel, willing the tears away. Right, I had a duty. I looked at the ring on my finger again, family are never easy to walk away from. I head for the hospital, why was grandmother still insisting on being there? She hated them; something was definitely wrong.

I smile seeing Godt already present, entertaining my grandmother with his baby asleep in his arms. He was a sweet kid but he had a weird obsession with that baby. He even had a bunny, called Bas.

"Won't his parents be upset you take him so often?" I ask.

"Nope." Godt shook his head. "He's my fiancé."

I nearly tripped on my foot.

"He's what?" I ask looking at the baby. "He's a baby..."

"Our families are old fashioned." Godt nodded standing. "These things happen."

"You're 17 years older than him..."

"16, Bas is 1 already." Godt smiled leaving. "I have to go get carrots; Bas will be hungry when he wakes up."

That made it better? Wait, carrots? He made my head hurt sometimes. I greet my grandmother whose arranging flowers in a vase.

"Did Godt bring them?"

"I did."

I freeze, my heart jumping around happily hearing his voice, my brain screaming I should run. I turn to see him leisurely sitting on the corner sofa sipping from a cup. Why was P'Pick here having coffee with my grandmother...?

"Such a nice young man." Grandmother gives me a look. "Coming to visit me and bringing flowers."

I get the hint; my fiancé didn't come to see you. I know.

"Come join us, I made you coffee." P'Pick places a cup on the table, next to the empty chair beside him. "Cream, two sugars."

My heart picked up, he remembered.

"He knows how you take your coffee, Rome." Grandma stated. "How considerate."

She knew something. I take a step forward, but stop when he smiles, my brain kicking in. I do the only sensible thing I can manage in this situation. I turn and run.

~~~~~~~~~

Kong POV

It was dark, the parking lot practically empty as I headed for my car. I wanted to go home, take a shower and sleep but I had a few things to finish first. I liked my job but filling paperwork for various things was tiring. This place was a challenge when I took the Manager role but I did it for a special person.

I look up as I unlocked my car, stopping to rub my eyes when I see someone standing near the driver's door. Was I dreaming? No, he was still there.

"P'..." I smile heading for the visitor. "Are you stalking me?"

"I...I was passing by and saw your car still here." He replies. "I promised you coffee."

"So you did."

I open the back door, putting my bag and files in the back seat. A man who kept his word, I liked it.

"Your car or mine..." He asks hesitantly when I say nothing, is he expecting me to say no? There wouldn't be a strike three, I wouldn't allow it.

"I know a great place around the corner." I point the direction. "Let's walk."

He looks relieved and nods, falling into step with me as we head across the street. Our hands touch as we walk, small caresses as he attempts to take hold but stops.

"You shouldn't stop halfway P'Arthit." I whisper moving a little closer. "It isn't nice."

He looks at me, hesitating only for a moment before holding my hand as we walk. I can't help chuckling. Do you realise what you are doing P'? If you keep this up, I will want a lot more then coffee.