CH 1 - Hope

Arthit POV

I open my eyes as the distant voices became clearer, waking from the trance I had fallen into so I could forget the world around me for a while. My fingers move to the pendulum and stop it mid-swing, its job was done.

I didn't sleep again, didn't want to try knowing what would come. I lived to hear his voice in the old memories that came unbidden but what came these days was the one I feared the most. The nightmare.

Hearing the screams of the one you love; you can only take so much before the darkness comes to consumes you. You forget yourself, letting your vampire nature free. I did it once, only once. If not for my father and Knot, I may not have come back. It couldn't happen, I wouldn't allow the darkness in today.

I stand from the chair, picking up the jacket and slipping it over my shoulders. I would watch my little brother get married, after waiting so long he had his Beloved, I wanted to see him happy and walk in the light.

I left the room following the voices and headed for the stairs, my friends waiting at the bottom. The reason I kept fighting was my family who kept me from drowning in the dark and my friends who walked with, no matter what.

And the tiny voice that kept telling me to wait one more day, just one more and maybe I would see him again too. Knot and Bright fall into step with me as Prem mapped the route and Tutah corrected him. One more day, I'll fight one more day.

~~~

"You want to leave now?" Knot asked when I stood.

"I'm tired, I want to rest."

It was a lie. I was glad to see Wayo happy but there was an ache in my heart, I wanted to hide away and lick my wounds, alone. I stood heading for the gate.

I stop seeing Nami, listening as she asks to dance but I was not in a good mindset to do anything more. Bright steps forward to take her attention but she isn't done with me. My feet don't move, her words ringing in my head.

"There is going to be a moon tonight." Her eyes shimmer. "It hasn't been seen for 206 years, but it's coming especially for its sun."

It was hard to breathe. Why 206? Could she know what those words meant? I run after her but Knott and Prem pull me back just as I hit the wards, pain ripping through me but I need to know.

"Nami..." I whisper.

She stands just inside the doors, out of my reach before disappearing. I take a step forward but Knot and Prem have a firm hold on me.

"What's wrong Arthit?" Knot asked. "You're worrying me."

I'm too scared to say it out loud but the small voice is whispering it repeatedly. The moon is coming, the moon is coming, my moon is coming back. Don't let this be a lie, my heart couldn't take it.

~~~

"An entire house full of vampires and you can't find one small human girl?" I snap to the young vampires I sent to look for her. "I should ash you all."

"Calm down Arthit." Knott puts his hand on my shoulder. "Nami isn't a normal girl."

"What's going on Arthit?" Prem looks worried.

"Who is coming?" bright asks. "What did she mean?"

"There..." Tutah points. "There she is..."

I grab her arm.

"Come listen to this song with me."

"Nami..."

"You can't go back from the beach this time." She says softly. "You need to walk across the pebbles and in through the door she opens for you."

She knew too much.

"Listen carefully P'Arthit. It's time to stop fighting and let the light in."

The cords of a guitar hum in the distance, a song drifts through the air, the soft voice sings to be allowed to let love walk in. I walk as though in a trance; I know this voice; it consumes my dreams it haunts my nightmares.

My knees give way as the face comes into view, the voice stops and a pair of familiar eyes turn to watch me. It was him, the man who inhabited my waking thoughts, how was it possible? The one sitting with the guitar was him, it was my Kongpob.

I watch as he stands, putting down the guitar and comes towards me. He stretches out his hand; I take it as he helps me stand. The same face, the same eyes, the delicate scent hits my senses; it was the same as I remembered.

"P..." He smiles. "My hand..."

I hold on.

"You really should let go P." He chuckles. "People will talk."

I didn't care, he was mine. I hold it tighter until I see him flinch, I let go quickly. Vampire strength, it slipped my mind. Did I hurt him? Before I can check he turns and walks away, I follow. I wouldn't lose him again.

I watch from the building opposite until the lights went out, I followed him home. Landing on the small balcony I turned the handle but the glass door was locked. My eyes shifted as I turned to mist and slipped inside.

The room was dark but I could see every feature clearly, my hands longing to touch him, to run through his hair and hold him tight. My fingers hovered so close to his face but I didn't touch, they would be cold and he didn't want to wake him. That's a lie. If I touch him, I might not be able to stop.

I sit on the side of the bed, watching his chest move as I listened to him breathe. I can't stop my hand as my fingers moved a stray lock of hair from his forehead. Was this really him? Was this my Kongpob?

"Wayo. How did you know he was your P'Pha?"

"His heartbeat." Wayo told me. "Close your eyes and listen, slowly one disappears. Keep listening and you realise, it isn't gone but both your hearts beat as one."

I close my eyes and let everything fade until all I hear is the two beating hearts. The pulsing sways and vibrates until there is only one. I cover my mouth to stop the sob from escaping. He really was mine. My Kongpob had come back.

I lower my head no longer being able to stop the urge to kiss him. As our lips touch a lilac light fills the room and a voice shrieking inside my head, the glass shatters as I am thrown out. Knot and Bright catch me before I can hit the opposite building, my head throbbing ready to explode.

"What the hell was that?" Bright asked.

I hurry back inside, the shrieking getting louder inside my head. Kongpob, I need to get to Kongpob. I see his body levitate, surrounded by lilac light and vanish before my eyes.