CH 9 - Almost

Arthit POV

"The dark energy didn't leave a trace and you shattered it before it could find him." Knot appears in the empty living room.

We waited until Kongpob fell asleep to talk. My pulse still flowed, nothing would get through me.

"How did it get inside one of our buildings?"

"We have been guarding the human way too long." Knot replied. "Our magic protection is...lacking."

Old magic left the human world long ago, small pieces remained in the bloodlines of the few who stayed. The ancient wars that split everything apart long forgotten, even my father only read of them in books. But, magic knew magic. Though we parted long ago, we always had connections through our family lines.

"Double the vampires watching him." I instruct. "Call Pin to this side, tell him I allow it."

He had connections to a magic line and I trusted him enough to have him add wards.

"We have to be careful Arthit." Knot warned. "The Master's may not like it and the treaties..."

"Can burn." I snap. "A dark magic was looking for him Knot, my Beloved. He's human and I can't turn him. A spell keeping him from me, and we have no idea who cast it. Now, this? I cannot, will not take chances. I need him safe."

"We wouldn't let anything happen to your Beloved Arthit." His voice is reassuring. "Nami is watching him too. He will be safe."

"Go see, Her." I look to my friend. "Take a shard and see what she knows."

I stay until Knot leaves before going back upstairs, my powers flowed around us but my heart didn't rest until I saw him with my own eyes. Why was dark energy looking for him? Was its owner responsible for the spell on Kongpob?

I touch his hair, pulling the blanket over him as he sleeps peacefully. I watch him toss and turn most nights, this was the first time I had seen him actually sleep. I lay down beside him, no matter how long I looked, it wasn't enough.

"How long have you been awake?" I ask when I feel light touches across my face.

"Not long." His voice gentle. "You look so pretty when you are asleep, P."

I bite my tongue to stop the words forming.

"What's there to see?" I manage when I can still feel his eyes on me. "I don't change."

"These are rare moments, when you belong to no one but me." He answered. "I cherish every one."

I didn't understand then, but I do now Kongpob. I felt guilty, ashamed and scared of wanting to love you then. My heart ached to see you, but my head reminded me of everything around us. I should have listened to you, should have put my fears into words instead of hiding them.

Every moment I see you are precious, I will hold them in my heart. I don't know who is keeping you from me Beloved, but let me make you mine soon. I want to spend an eternity loving you. Please let me. He watched him sleep for a while before his eyes to begun to grow heavy and he slept.

~~

A wind began to form outside as the two slept. Their faces turned to each other even in sleep, their hands intertwined. A tiny light peeked in through the window, it hit the arch of the lighthouse tower and travelled into the dark depths below.

A soft breeze rustled the half soaked leaves still clinging to the stone ground, a light beginning to slip into the dark cavern from underneath them as they moved. It grew stronger as the wind swirled moving everything, words floating in the light.

Star light, star bright,

I make a wish this night,

When the darkness comes to call,

Let your light, on them fall.

The moss clung tightly to the walls as the leaves spun and vanished, light pouring out from the symbols carved into the stone floor. It calmed, turning to a soft glow once the array was fully uncovered. The magic hummed, renewed once more.

~~~~~~~~~~

Tew POV

I arrived before dawn, leaving marks as I made my way towards the house. I don't know what Em was thinking letting Kong go with him. The information about Arthit was perfect but if you looked a little deeper you could see the small discrepancies.

When the building came into view, I kept my distance and waited. Maybe I was worrying to much but we had come this far. I see them leave, Kong smiles talking as they head for the car and leave. I'm relieved to see him well.

There is a soft hum in the air, a wave gently flowing outward from the house. I can feel the prickle of magic as I move closer to the building. Something old was here, I could hear the melody of it flow around me.

I look through the large glass doors, everything silent as I wave my hand across the lock and the doors slide open. The moment I step inside, I feel a soft hum vibrating through the floor. I kneel, placing my fingers on the wooden ground, and nearly bit my tongue in shock when I realise what it is.

"How can...this be here...?" I whisper.

Did Em know about this? Is that why he let Kong come?

"What is it?"

"An array..." I answer before realising what I did.

I look up, cursing as I turn and run. The figure is in front before I can get to the doors. I turn my right hand, vanishing, I run as my feet hit the ground. I placed travel hooks in case I needed to escape quickly, they allowed you to move between locations once activated.

I turn my hand again, placing more distance between me and the house. I was using a glamour so he couldn't recognise me but he moved to fast, I didn't want him to catch me. I curse as my back hits the leaf-covered floor, knocking the air out of me.

"Interesting." Blood red eyes stare into mine. "What did you find in Arthit's house?"

He grabs my hand before I can travel, fangs plunging into my neck. I can't breathe, my back arches as he takes a deep pull. I can feel the whisper in my mind, I need to get away before he can finish. I bite my lip, the blood diverting his attention.

The second of distraction is enough for me to move my hand and vanish. I feel dizzy, sick and drained landing on the floor, it was risky to jump this far but he couldn't follow me here. I take out my phone and call Em.

"They're vampires." I take deep breaths to steady myself. "Arthit and his friends..."

"The house?"

"It has a protection array underneath." I take a moment as my head spins. "With a seal..."

"Who's?"

One of the most powerful beings of old, who technically, hadn't set foot in the human lands since the old wars.

"The Archmages." I take a deep breath. "And Em, it's humming."

+++

Knot stood, wiping the dirt off his clothes. The intruder was smart, using a glamour to hide and distracting him. He used his thumb to wipe across his bottom lip, before tasting the drop of blood. Kongpob seemed to have powerful friends too, and they wanted to play.

Knott smiled as he made his way back to the house, children really should read more. He was too old and the glamour didn't fool him. Em and Tew both had magic, now they needed to find out what the array under the house was doing and was there more.