CH 36 - Chime

Edit Note: For some reason, Wattpad keeps mixing up the chapter orders. You should see this in the right place now.

~~~

Outside the Mooning House.

Boon (Kong's father)

Kul (Kit's father)

The morning was cool and crisp, the days beginning to get shorter and a chill taking hold in the early air. Two figures worked quietly, using the small light as they hung the banners between two branches, the occupants of the house below could read them when it was time.

They were sent with instructions from their wives but Boon had added one more banner, in an attempt to help his son. Warning: Your mother is coming.

"We should do this more often." Kul finished tying the last string.

"Being eaten by wild animals?" Boon questioned swatting whatever landed on his cheek, hard.

"Day trips." Kul replies. "We used to do it all they time."

"We were young and free." Boon remembered. "Now we have wives, and joint pain."

"Yours is more trouble than mine."

"Let's not go into that." Boon sighed. "It ends in a fight...wow...wait...nooo..."

Boon heaved a huge sigh, rubbing his back as he stood from the fall. This wouldn't happen if Kong occasionally checked his phone. He really hated outdoors, that was Kong and his mother's domain, he liked the smooth surfaces of manmade floors.

"You didn't come over last night did you." Boon took out his phone and showed him the picture. "They did this."

"Oh dear..." Kul looked through the pictures before handing the device back as they left. "Uncle let them?"

"That was done after he went to bed."

Boon sighed again when his phone chimed, he knew it was the family chat room before he even looked. The girls were awake and they were sending opinions and advice to their mother over colours and locations.

They were also sending pictures of dresses; this would be a full 10-day event and they needed something different for each day. For themselves, their husbands and their children. They were also coordinating with Poppy, Beam and Rome, who after their Girls Night with their mother had now become BFF's.

"Did you hear that?" Boon asks looking around.

"What?" Kul listened more intently, frowning after a while. "I hear nothing."

Boon looked around but couldn't tell which direction they came from, the sound echoing through the trees. He heard them last time too, but didn't find anything then either. The sound was as clear as a bell on the soft breeze, wind chimes.

~~~~~~~~~~

May POV

I held mothers' hand, trying to sooth her as she cried softly. Never did I imagine a month ago, I would be in this position or the reason my parents would be fighting. I could only offer support for now, as I tried to figure out what the future would hold.

"I'm sorry mother." I said softly again. "I'm sorry."

"Why are you sorry?" Mother asked looking up. "None of this is your fault."

But I felt it was, seeing her like this.

"Is she still there?"

"Yes, that old bat hasn't left. She keeps whispering alone to your father, I can hardly get a moment to speak to him and when I do, she...." Mother grew angry. "She keeps demanding I bring you home."

"I don't want to see her." I try to reassure my mother. "I'll try... I will talk to father..."

"She is waiting for you to do that." Mother warns. "That man...that man came again to see her and this time she made him see your father too."

I told her the truth but mother didn't know what to make of it. That man, he was the one the demon sent last time too.

"Are you okay here may?" Mother asks again. "With practical strangers and..."

"I'm safe here." I tell her. "Kong's parents are here too, so I know someone. The others, are interesting and kind."

My mother finally smiles a little, she looked frail. Your parents are mountains to you, never do you imagine them being anything less. My mother never once asked if I was sure about Em, and if is still wanted to marry him. She knew me.

It was funny to think it, but hearing the truth from Em cleared the last worry I had. I always felt there was something he kept from me, something he often tried to say but stopped in the end. He was a mage, here to protect Kong from the same demon my grandmother had a deal with.

"Are you going to speak to her?"

I spoke to grandmother only once, her words hurtful and hard to hear. It seemed as though a mask had been removed and she was finally able to show her real self. What worried me the most, was the broach. It appeared in my car as I watched, once again new.

"No." I answer honestly. "She will use me to hurt Em or Kong, I can't let either happen."

Trouble wasn't what they needed right now and I refused to be a pawn.

~~~~~~~~~~

Kong POV

I felt tired again. My body hurt, my gums ached, and my mind felt too crammed. Days passed in a fog, I remembered somethings, others just images drifting through. Words whispered and spoken, but gone before I could grasp a hold of them.

I stood in the kitchen, looking out of the glass to the trees beyond. The branches swayed and creaked, the leaves falling. Fluttering of wings, the rustle of twigs as small creatures passed, I could hear it all. My mind felt to full, everything turning red.

"Concentrate on something closer."

I felt him before I heard him next to me.

"Listen to my voice."

I did, but my Beloved talked so little, my mind would wonder again. I listen to his heartbeat, the rhythm soothing. My mind beginning to calm, everything coming back into focus. We spent time practising the last few days, it was getting easier.

I could hear a soft hum, the vampire mist keeping us inside as the month of change passed. I tried to recall but didn't remember P'Arthit bringing us here. Our time here alone would end, only one day was left. Then the doors would open, into the world again.

"Better?"

"Yes." I take his hand, kissing the back. "I hope I can manage with others around."

"You will." His voice comforting. "And I will be close if you need me."

"It will be good to see the gang." I smile. "Em's wedding is getting closer too."

I felt bad for leaving them to handle all the work and pick up after the accident, I would make it up to them. I had good friends, they never stayed angry for long. I listen when I hear movement, the vampires were changing. All but Knot, he hardly left, and only when one of the others close to P'Arthit came to change with him.

"Do you hear them again?" P'Arthit asks looking up at me. "The chimes?"

"Not today." I heard nothing now either, it was strange. "They seem, occupied."

"The leaves are falling." He looks out. "It will be winter soon."

"I never liked it."

"What? The season?"

"Being cold, I can never sleep." I tell him. "But I think I will look forward to it now, sleeping with you."

"Would it help? I'm also...cold."

Is that what he thought? I may not remember everything, but I did remember the nights with him.

"Not to me." I can't help the smile leaning down to whisper in his ear, it takes only a moment before a soft rosy colour appears on his cheeks. "You are always very hot, when you are with me."