Chapter 52: I almost didn't notice.../Cordelia

"Be on the bus in ten." Coach called as she popped her head in the locker room. 

        All of the girls fixed their hair and adjusted their jerseys. So many of the other girls on my team made me feel so simple, they all had fancy braids and their hair was twisted just right. While I on the other hand, just have my hair done up in a simple ponytail.

        I looked in the mirror and sighed, this is going to have to do. I tightened the laces on my shoes and walked out onto the bus. I put my headphones in and try to drown out the cheers of my team mates. I have as much school spirit as the next kid but when you have to go to every game and see all of the other kids' parents, hear them cheering their child on, it's just, not the same as it used to be.

        All the girls excitedly giggle into the locker room and make jokes about the other girls on the team. Even on our way into the gym they snicker at the opposing team. 

        I sigh and begin our warm ups and stretches. It seems like hours even though it was a meek fifteen minutes before the buzzer sounded and coach calls us over to huddle in our circle. Coach lists off the starters for the court. I snap into reality when I hear coach say my name. 

        I nod and all of the starters position themselves on the court. The first quarter seems to go by in a blur and when my eyes subconsciously look up into the stands for my parents, I have to mentally scold myself for looking, for caring at all. 

        I turn away but my eyes catch on a waving hand in the stands. I smile as Romeo excitedly smiles down at me and waves his arms in the air to notify me of his presence. I jog over to coach and she puts five new girls in. I sigh and nod as I take my place on the bench. I reach my hand to search for my water bottle and when my hands come up empty I turn around and a memory of my water bottle sitting on the counter before I left for school. Oh my god, are you kidding me? I forgot my water bottle at home! 

        I regret thinking about water because all of a sudden my mouth becomes cotton dry and I crave water so badly.

"Coach, I'm gonna run and get a drink." I whimper.

"Okay but be quick. You should have come prepared." She scolds.

"I know, I know." I snap.

        Coach gives me a quizzical look, but before she can chew me out for my sass I jump up and scurry out towards the hall's water fountain. Right as I meet the doorway a hand grabs my arm and I jump back in surprise. 

        I turn to my attacker and I am relieved to find that it's just Romeo. My heartbeat and pulse slow but my breathing is still uneven. Romeo doesn't even seem to notice my symptoms.

"Okay, so two things! One, I got you a Gatorade." He says handing me a plastic bottle filled with red liquid. I try to thank him but he just keeps on with his sentence. "And two my mom wants you over for Christmas." 

"Oh my god, are you sure?" I ask. "That's like a big deal though."

"Yeah, and it was all her idea! And get this, my dad agreed, and he's taking Christmas off this year. That's the first holiday in forever he's taken off." Romeo squeals.

"Well, how can I say no? I'll be there, but I have to go. Thank you for the drink." I said leaning up towards him so he could give me a kiss on the cheek.

        I briskly walk over towards the bench and take my seat. Coach is so wrapped up in the game I think she's forgotten the whole ordeal, but when she sneaks me a glare, I knew I wasn't that lucky. 

        Our team lost, and I watched all of the girls drag their feet with sad looks on their faces. Slowly one by one, they all file out of the locker room and trudge towards the bus. 

         I waited for everyone to leave, I just needed to breath. I needed to prepare myself for the bus ride home, we may have lost but there is still so much happiness on that bus. I walk out of the locker room and once again hands grab me unexpectantly Before I can react Romeo's hands wrap around my waist and he pulls me closely to spin me around.

"You were so good out there Pocket." He coos.

"We lost..." I laugh.

"Yes, but you played amazingly well." Romeo says. 

"Why thank you sir." I say bowing as he sets me down.

"Do you want a ride?" He asks.

"Oh my god, thank you, you're a life saver." I whisper.

"I try." He shrugs.

"Hey Coach!" I call after her and she turns to me from the opposite side of the gym. "I'm getting a ride!" 

        Coach nods and Romeo takes my gym bag off my shoulder and walks me to his car. He talks to me about the game excitedly mentions the parts that I did well and gently scolds me for the mistakes I made.

         My eyes start to close as the effort from the game start to catch up to me. I am so out of it that I don't even notice when Romeo takes the turn away from my house, and towards his. I barely even notice when Romeo unbuckles my seat belt. But I do notice a silhouette in the head lights, and when I open my eyes and realize where I am.

        I know exactly who it is...