Chapter 24: Bump, Set, Spike. /Cordelia

It's Wednesday as in game day. I pull my hair into a tight ponytail and readjust my jersey, today was the first game that Romeo would see. What if I was bad? I shook my head and reassured myself as I tightened the laces on my shoes. I walked out of the locker room and straightened imaginary wrinkles out of my jersey. I enter the gym and sitting there in all his beautiful glory is my boyfriend Romeo. I smile at him and do a small awkward wave with my right hand. He winks at me. I laugh and sit in the section of the bleachers that is reserved for my team.

        I hear the girls sit in front of me making small chatter over how cute a boy in the stands is. It takes me several moments to realize that they are talking about Romeo. I tap on the red haired girl's shoulder. She turns around in disgust.

"Hi, um I couldn't help but hear that you guys were talking about that boy over there." I say directing my attention to Romeo who seems to be playing a game on his phone.

"Yeah. So what?" The girl with honey colored hair snaps at me.

"That's my boyfriend." I say seriously. They both look at me and laugh.

"Yeah right!" The red head replies. They look over at Romeo and flirtatiously wave, he looks over at me in confusion.

"No man as hot as that one would ever date you." The blonde girl says poking my chest.

"He is!" I yell heatedly. Romeo walks over to us now, hearing the distress in my voice he wraps a protective arm around my waist as he slides in the seat next to me. 

"Problem ladies?" He asks grinning politely.

"No." They both say in unison and turn around.

I see them staring at us from the corner of their eyes apparently so does Romeo.

"I'm gonna go sit back down okay babe?" Romeo asks. I smile and nod.

"Okay." I say. He gives me a quick peck on the lips and out of nowhere I hear Emily shout.

"Hey! No P.D.A.!" She yells. I blush and Romeo laughs and gives a reassuring squeeze to my shoulder.

        Just then Emily, Hannah, and Alexis sit around me. Alexis has long black hair and emerald green eyes, she is a little on the heavy side but no one really notices. 

"So are you guys are like official?" Alexis asks me. They all look at me expectantly.

"Yeah. We are." I say. They all smile and our conversation is interrupted by a whistle being blown. We all file onto the court and practice our serves and spikes until a loud buzzer erupts from the scoreboard. We all file in around coach and she directs us to our positions on the court. I'm in the middle of the front row. It's our opponent's serve. I watch the ball fly through the air and head towards the red head next to me from earlier.

"Set it up!" Several on lookers scream hastily. I nod and bump it to our setter. I slowly raise my arm and spike it as hard as I can onto their court, it bounces off the ground as a loud chorus of cheers erupts from our side of the crowd. 

"That's my girl!" I hear Romeo shout over the rest of them.

         I smile and block out the cheering crowd to focus on the game. Soon it's my serve, the score is 3-3 we're all tied up. The ref gives the go ahead and I toss the ball into the air and serve it over, My eyes watch the ball travel over the net and into the chest of a frail brunette on the opposing team. Her eyes widen as the collides into her chest and she trips backwards and falls on her butt. Our team gets the point and she gives me an icy stare through her hazel eyes. 

        The ball is returned to me and and I once again serve it in her direction. This time she is ready as she smack the ball over the net and into my face, the world goes in slow motion as I see the ball coming towards my direction. The crowd can apparently notice my surprise because an eruption of loud groans and gasps escape the crowd as the ball collides into my nose and my face is whipped backwards as I'm tripping towards the ground and my heads slams into the gym's hard wood floor.

                                                                                                   Then blackness swallows me whole.