Chapter 37: Lay next to me./Romeo

After Cordelia was out of the shower and I made sure she was comfortable in the guest bedroom, I laid myself to sleep. Only I didn't do that, I stayed awake. The hours ticked by as I lay in my bed staring at the ceiling. It didn't seem fair. It didn't seem right that Cordelia was so close to me, but wasn't right next to me. The very temptation of her kept me awake.

        My bed was so large and so cold. I only wanted Cordelia to occupy the empty space next to me, to experience the warmth that pulsated from her. I debated on getting up and inviting her into my room, but that seemed very, very wrong.

        As I fought the urge to retrieve her from her slumber, I hear a small squeak come from my door and I pretend to be asleep. Light bathes my face and Cordelia walks in.

"Romeo?" She whispers. "Are you a wake?"

"No." I mumble in my best sleepy voice and bury my head into my pillow to hide my smile.

"Then wake up!" She whispers heatedly.

        She lays down next to me, her face mere inches from mine.

"I couldn't sleep." She says smiling.

        I can almost make out her features in the dark. I place my hand on her cheek and kiss her, lightly at first then harder until she pulls back.

"Bruises." She said wincing. 

"Right." I said referring to the purple bruises that lined her top and bottom lips. "I'm sorry that I let him do that to you." 

"You." She said poking me in the chest. "Didn't "Let" him do anything. He did it all on his own."

"But I could have stopped him." I say guiltily.

"No. Don't you dare feel bad." She says scolding me.

"I love you Pocket." I say.

"I love you too Romeo." She says.

"How come you don't have a nickname fro me?" I ask.

"Because Romeo is cuter than any nickname I could give you." She says factually.

        I smile and lay on my back. I stare up at the ceiling as I wrap my arm around Cordelia's shoulders. She uses my shoulder as a head rest and wraps her leg around my waist, I close my eyes and try to steady my heartbeat as she lays her hand on my chest. Her breathing slowly begin to steady as she drifts off to sleep.

               A warm ray of light showers across my face from my window causing me to wake up. I reach my arm over for Cordelia and the spot where she once laid is now empty. She left behind a faint amount of warmth.

        I wonder downstairs and find Cordelia and my mother in the dining room drinking coffee and eating waffles.

"Mm, are those chocolate chip?" I ask hungrily.

"Yes, have some." Cordelia says gazing up at me.

"Thank you. You are so kind, and generous to let me sit at your table, eat your food, and give me the clothes I currently wear on my back." I say  beholden. "Oh wait, Pocket that's you."

"Potato, potato." She says shrugging.

        I laugh and kiss her cheek as I sit down next to her. Amelia brings me a plate of waffles.

"Good morning Mother." I say cheerfully.

"Well don't you seem happy this morning." My mother says suspiciously. "I hope she dosen't get pregnant." 

Cordelia chokes on her waffles next to me as horror and surprise enlighten her eyes.

"Mrs. Apara, we've never... I've never... Done that." Cordelia says embarrassed.

"You've never?" Mother asks.

        Cordelia just shakes her head, her eyes trained on her plate and her fork swirls in the maple syrup,

"Keep her Romeo, she's worth it." My mother says happily.

        I nod and take Cordelia's hand. I trace her ring finger and frown at the absence of a ring. My ring should be there, I can't help but think.

"Well I should go." Cordelia says standing up. I look over at her and she is still wearing my shirt and boxers.

"I'm sorry if I have made you uncomfortable." My mother says.

"No not at all, it's just..." Cordelia says motioning to her outfit.

"What?" I ask. "I think you look rather dashing in my clothing. Although if you would feel better without anything on at the dinner I would be happy to oblige." 

"You would just love that wouldn't you?" She asks.

"You're right." I say sensing her sarcasm. "I would much prefer you naked in my room alone, than in the dining room with my closest family and friends."

"A hem." My mother says clearing her throat. "Manners." 

"Sorry Mother." I say rolling my eyes. "I'll just go take Cordelia home."

"Very well." My mother says. "I assume she will be back at 5?"

"Yes, Mrs.Apara." Cordelia says smiling.

"Well then, I shall see you later." Mother says smiling.

        Cordelia nods and I walk her to my car. We drive to her house.

"Do you want me to wait inside?" I ask.

        She hesitates, "If you want." She says casually.

I nod and follow her inside.

"You can sit on the couch, I'm just going to take a quick shower." She says.

"Okay." I say smiling.

        She disappears somewhere and I slowly begin to wander around her house. I find myself walking upstairs, looking at all the pictures that line the walls. I see a woman, who I assume is her mother. Then there is many pictures of Cordelia growing up over the years.

         I smile at the girl in the picture frames, pigtails and missing teeth. She looked so happy then, pure joy and happiness filled her eyes. What happened? She still seems happy but it's almost as if her smile was forced sometimes. Even when she is happy, hints of sadness lace her life. I bet it's the secret she is hiding from me.

        I wander back downstairs and sit on the couch for awhile. Then a man walks in, he is about two inches taller than me and has a rough scuffle on his cheeks.

"Are you the son-of-a-bitch who's dating my daughter?" He asks me.

"STEP daughter." Cordelia says angrily, with her arms crossed and a towel wrapped around her.

"What the hell is going on here." He asks. "Why are you naked?"

"Dave, shut up." Cordelia says sarcastically.   

"Oh god." I groan.