Chapter 44: Safe Bird. /Cordelia

You have 1 unread messages.

        "I'm scared." I say shakily holding my phone out. "You open it."

        Romeo hesitates for a moment, for a second, I think maybe he won't take the phone. Then he nods and takes the phone out of my trembling hand. He slowly pulls the phone towards him and my eyes immediately register the absence of Romeo's shirt. My eyes rake down his pale skin and my fingers twitch at the urge to press my hand against his perfectly sculpted stomach.

        My cheeks turn a crimson color as my mind fills with thoughts of Romeo with more than just his shirt missing. My eyes slide down to his blue sneakers. In the corners of my eyes I watch his mouth slack open and his shiny black hair hang over his crystal blue eyes.

        It's moments like these that make you wonder, why? Why does this happen to me? Why are things the way they are? Why do I have Romeo? This life? All of it. Any of it. 

"What does it say?" I ask, my eyes still locked with his shoes.

"Cordelia. Dave's not the junkie, your mom is..." Romeo says.

"Um what?" I ask. "That doesn't make any sense. She is in Korea on business."

"Pocket." Romeo says reaching for my hand.

"No!" I scream shoving him hard in the chest. "She's not in rehab! You've never even met her."

"I know, I know." He says holding up his hands in defeat and caution. 

"She's not, she wouldn't, she... she..... Oh Jesus." I say, a large ball of fear and realization balls up in my throat. 

        Tears run down my cheeks and I fall into Romeo's arms. Sobs wrack my body, and my shoulders tremble against his bare chest 

"I, I, ca ca ca can't ba ba ba breath." I choke out in short breathes. 

"Shh." Romeo says calmly.

        His touch soothes me like chamomile and my lungs instantly calm. All of the events and tears of today really take a toll on me. I'm exhausted, my eyes slowly start to close and my body goes slack and I lean into Romeo's chest. I yawn and I can feel Romeo's laughter as he picks me up and lays me on the bed.

        I can hear his footsteps as he walks away. The shower starts to run and the hum of the water and the light tones of Romeo's singing lulls me to sleep. Soon I can feel Romeo's body heat as he presses up against me and wraps an arm around my waist.

        I wake up to a direct ray of light hitting my face, when I opened my eyes, it burned my pupils. I look behind me and Romeo is still sleeping with his arm wrapped around me. His black hair is tussled perfectly and his long lashes flutter for a second so my body goes still. I quietly get up from the bed and walk over to my bag that is laying on the ground. I pull out a shirt and a pair of jeans.

        I make sure that Romeo is sleeping before I slip my shirt and shorts off. I stand in my matching bra and underwear while I pull my jean leg out. 

"Well good morning to you too!" Romeo's voice chimes.

        I jump at the sound of his voice and instinctively turn to face him. My lack of clothing was forgotton in my moment of surprise. 

"What?" I ask. He smiles at me, his head nodding towards my body. "Oh." 

        I cover my chest and yell at him to close his eyes. I slip my pants on and look up to find him with one eye open. I sigh and quickly pull my shirt over my head.

"Perv." I say smiling.

"Perv? He asks. "You were the one undressing in front of me!"

"You were sleeping!" I say accusingly.

"Obviously I was not, my eyes are open." He says smiling.

"You are such a smart ass." I say rolling my eyes.

        Romeo shrugs and stands up out of the bed and yawns. He's only wearing a pair of grey, low hung sweatpants, I can't help but stare at the line between his stomach and pants.

He raises an eyebrow. "Oh I'm the perv?" He asks folding his arms across his chest.

"Sorry." I say shaking my head and closing my eyes.

"Hey, I'll make you a deal. I won't wear a shirt if you don't." He says slyly.

        I roll my eyes and search my bag for a brush. My fingers snag the hooks of my comb as I pull it out and run it through my long hair. Romeo comes and hugs me from behind. He kisses my cheek and holds my waist.

"Um, hey." I say.

"Yeah." Romeo says in his gruff morning voice.

"Three things." I say wrapping my arm around his neck as I entwine my fingers into his hair.

"And they are..." He says gruffly.

"Your breath stinks, put on a shirt, and you have a... you know, morning glory." I say smiling.

"Oh!" He says jumping back. "My breath stinks?" He says embarrassed.

"Is that the only thing you heard?" I ask pointing to his pants.

"It's your fault." He says shrugging.

        I roll my eyes and walk towards the bathroom to brush my teeth and apply my mascara. I grab my mascara from my bag and jerk my hand back. The vibration from my phone almost gave me a heart attack.

        12 missed calls from: DAVE

"Oh god." I whisper as I press the button to call him back.

Dave: Oh thank god! Cordelia where have you been?

Me: What do you want?

Dave: I'm so sorry Cordelia, I gave Frank our address for emergencies, I never thought he would actually come.

Me: Is mom at Safe Bird?

Dave: Yeah...

Me: Has she been there this whole time?

Dave: Cordelia, I know I should have told you, she wanted to get better and I wanted that for her too. So I didn't tell you because she said she couldn't get better with you hating her. She couldn't have that stress.

        Romeo pops his head in the bathroom door and looks at me questioningly. I cover my hand over the speaker. "Dave." I whisper. Romeo nods and ducks back out the door.

 Me: It was wrong. For both of you!

Dave: I know, I'm sorry.

Me: You were never going to tell me, so apology not accepted.

Dave: We were going to tell you when you were older, when you could understand.

Me: Oh I understand alright, my mom's addicted to drugs... or was.

Dave: I'm sorr-

        I press the end call button and sigh as I brush my teeth and put on my mascara. I walk out of the bathroom. I walk into the kitchen, my eyes glued to the screen of my phone.

"What are you doing?" Romeo asks.

"Googling the number to Safe Bird." I say calmly.

"Are you going to talk to her?" Romeo asks.

"I'll do her one better, I'm going there." I say heatedly. "And you're coming with me."