Chapter 32: The cold is everywhere. /Cordelia

After Hannah and Jack left I didn't stay for long. Romeo drove me home and walked me to my door.

"No one's home if you want to come in." I said to Romeo.

"Are you ashamed for me to meet your family?" He asks.

"No, I just didn't know if you were ready to." I say casually.

        My mind secretly winces for lying to Romeo. I feel like if he ever met Dave they would become close and that would just make me hate him. I just couldn't stand to have him bond with that monster, I would be crushed.

         I unlock my door and lead him inside. "It's no mansion, but it's a home." I say shyly.

"That was super deep." He says.

I laugh. "Do you want to see my room?" I ask.

He shrugs like it's not a big deal, "Sure." He says casually.

I raise an eyebrow and lead him up the stairs and into my room. I stick my arms out and walk in a circle to say this is pretty much it. 

He smiles and looks around the room.

"No T.V.?" He asks, his icy blue eyes staring at me intently.

I shrug." Never really wanted one, I'm more of a reader." I say motioning to all the posters of my favorite books that have been turned into movies.

"The Hunger Games?" He asks looking at the poster above my bed.

"You've never read it?" I ask surprised.

"Never even heard of it." He says. My eyes widen in shock.

"Well." I say coolly "The book is WAY better than the movie." I pause for a moment before walking over to my bookshelf and pulling it out."Here." I say handing it to him, "You should read it." 

        He takes the book and runs his fingers down the spine of the book. He smiles and leans into me, his nose barely brushes mine when his phone vibrates.

"I really hope that's your phone and not something else." I say laughing.

He sighs and pulls out his phone.

"Ugh." He says throwing his head back. "I have to go!"

"No." I said wrapping my arms tight around his waist.

He hugged me back,"Yes, and the dinner was moved to Sunday." He says.

"Okay." I said pouting.

Romeo laughs and pecks my lips as he turns to walk down the stairs.

"I'll read this book and call you tomorrow!" He calls.

        I listen to my front door shut and slowly climb into bed as I slip my skinny jeans off and turn out the light.

        I'm awoken by a loud clanging and a chorus of curse words. I throw my quilt off of my body and immediately shiver. My house is freezing! I slip on a pair of pajama pants and go investigate.

        I walk down the stairs to the eruption of loud sounds, like a stupid white girl from every horror movie on the planet, if my life were a movie I could just hear the chorus of boos coming from the audience. I walk downstairs and find no one. Creepy right? Just then a loud bang echoes off of the floorboards beneath my feet. Those sounds are coming from my basement? I creep over to the door to my basement. I paused and decided to grab a large kitchen knife as I walked down the stairs, I know total cliche.

        I walked down the stairs and there is Dave banging around in my furnace, in my basement, at 4 A.M. 

"Dave what are you doing?" I ask.

"Furnace broke, haven't you noticed how cold it is?" He asks me stupidly.

"Yeah," I say shivering. "I just figured it was your heart."

"Ha that would mean I would have to have a heart." He says. 

"Har, har." I say rolling my eyes and stumble back up the stairs.

"Oh hey you're nipping out by the way!" Dave calls after me.

"Why the hell do you have to be such an old freakin' pervert?" I scream disgustedly.

"Hey," He says laughing. "I thought you might like to know." He says jokingly.

        I stomp up the stairs and debate on going back to bed, or get a nice warm cup of coffee. I walk into the kitchen and heat some water. I change my mind and make a to-go cup of hot chocolate and    carry it up into my room. I sip the chocolate and drift off to sleep again.

        Around noon I'm awoken by my phone going off, it's Romeo.

"Hello?" I say into the phone speaker, my voice still groggy and thick with morning.

"Were you sleeping?" He asks.

"Yeah." I say my teeth chattering uncontrollably from the cold.

"Cold?" He asks.

"Yyyyyeah." I say shaking.

"Turn up the heat." He said calmly.

"IIIIIIt's bbbbbrokkken." I say.

"On my way, I'll have blankets and coffee in the car." He says dominantly.

"Nnnnooo." I said a small chill run through my spine. "Yyyyyouuu ddddon't have to dddddooo that." 

"Well I can't let my baby freeze now can I?" He says and hangs up.

"Rrrrooomeeeooo?" I ask shaking. "Hhhhelllo?" 

        No answer, curse that Romeo for being so dang hot while I was over here freezing. I slipped on a loose pair of sweatpants a large green shirt that said, Save the crocodiles, snapping for a cause and a big black sweatshirt. I threw my hair into a messy ponytail and waited on my front steps for Romeo, wow I think it's colder inside my house than it is outdoors, I guess the cold is everywhere, including Dave's soul.