37

Chapter 37: Ackerman

═════ 🌙 ═════

~Levi~

It was the next day after defeating Rod Reiss' titan who managed to crawl his way to the wall of Orvud. Thankfully with our plan he was killed, everything was falling into place... but as everything was coming to an end... so was my time with (Y/N) according to Erwin.

Now I was out searching for the last of the interior unit. Making sure there wouldn't be anyone coming after us or Historia to cause a delay in the coronation. So far most of Kenny's squad was dead from the explosion.

A field not far from the chapel I had another cadet with me. Kenny sat there against the tree slowly dying. "Your subordinates that fought with you have all died... are you the only one?" I ask.

Half his face was burned up. "I guess." he groans.

"Captain he's..." the cadet starts. I then turn to the man with a serious expression.

"Return to base, I'll handle this." I order the cadet. The man nods and begins to walk away back to base like I told him. I watched his left hand fall onto a small box... it carried two needles and the main part of the syringe with the serum.

"I took one from Rod's bag... apparently taking one can turn you into a titan." he mutters in a raspy voice.

He took in a deep breath as if talking made him lose breath fast. "Maybe I'll become a stupid one... who knows, at least I'll still be alive." he says.

"You probably had a better chance when you weren't all messed up. So why didn't you?" I ask.

"I wonder... gotta make sure I do it right, or it might turn me into something like him. Some half baked dumb-ass." he says before coughing.

"There's no way you'll just sit here and wait to die. Don't you have any better excuse?" I ask.

"I don't wanna die... I just wanted power... but I see why he did something like that... everyone I saw was the same...they wanted alcohol... women... or even pretended to be god... power... the people around me all had something they wanted it was what kept them going." after saying that he went into a coughing fit as blood began to seep from his mouth.

"What about you? Being a hero?" he then asks me.

Kneeling down I grab his shoulder to push him back up. "Tell me everything you know, why didn't the previous king want mankind to survive?" I ask.

He coughed again causing blood to splatter on my face. " I don't know... but that's why we Ackerman went against the king." he answers.

"I was told that I was an Ackerman too... is that true? Who were you to my mother?" I ask.

He began to laugh and slowly lean forward. "D-dumb-ass... I was just... her big brother." he groans.

I looked at him in slight shock. "Then why... did you leave me back then?" I ask.

I watched his hand reach for the box. "I, was unfit to be a parent." he groans, with that he shoved the box into my chest. Slowly I took the box from his hand as his slips and falls to the ground limp.

Slowly the life from his eyes faded until he was dead leaving me with only a few questions answered. He was my uncle... and I didn't even know... until now.

~(Y/N)~

I watched Hanji sit up from the bed seeming to be perfectly fine now. "How does your arm feel?" I ask.

She smiled at me and nodded. "Great, won't be able do much with it for now but it's much better than before." she answers.

I then heard the door creak from behind me, turning my head I find Levi entering. "How are you?" he asks in a hushed tone.

Hanji nodded again. "Good... I'll give you two a moment, I need to stretch my legs." she says. I watched as she walked around us then left the room. Levi walked around me and sat on the bed.

He seemed off, so placing my hand on his thighs I look up at him. "What's wrong?" I ask.

When he looked up his left hand took hold of my face, pulling me towards his face his lips gently pressed into mine. It was harder than expected with more passion behind it than usual. Something was definitely on his mind.

He pulled away slowly and looked me directly in the eye without saying a word. "Erwin tells me you leave after the coronation... I didn't think you'd leave so soon." he says.

I nod my head. "Actually I'll stay the night but the morning after I'll be on my way." I tell him.

The coronation was later today and nothing was keeping me here. As much as I'd like to go to Shiganshina with them I knew I needed to get home. Leaning in I kiss him again, "I'll stay with you tonight... okay?" I say against his lips before pecking one last time.

It was a busy day but I wanted to make sure I said goodbye to everyone. It was the least I could do. And I needed to finish my letter to Levi, and make sure everything I had was packed. 

═════ 🌙 ═════