35

Chapter 35: Free

═════ 🌙 ═════

~(Y/N)~

Mikasa ran outside to check on Armin. While I knelt next to Levi stitching his wounds, luckily he wasn't shut... only a few cuts from being nicked by bullets. We were hidden in an abandoned barn to regroup.

I too had my wounds but overlooked them and only tended to Levi. Unfortunately not all of us were lucky enough to make it out. Once Levi's shoulder had been stitched I place a bandage over it before standing up.

He reached forward and grabbed his shirt to put back on. For now we just needed to rest for a while and regain our strength. I begin to walk away when I felt Levi grab my hand, looking back I find him standing there holding the bandages in his other hand. "We've still got time before we eat... let me tend to your wounds." he mutters.

Nodding I go and sit in the same spot he once occupied while he kneels before me. I quickly unbutton the shirt I had been wearing to reveal my tank top underneath. There on my left arm was a deep gash, even though it stopped bleeding I couldn't leave it open like this. As I look down at my shoulder I found the scars... but suddenly draw a blank as to where I got them.

"The scars... just seem to keep adding up." he mutters.

Nodding slightly I don't answer. "Yours too... you have just as many as it seems." I say.

Slowly he pushed a new needle through and to the other side as he starts pulling the flash back together. With my right hand I gently place it on his cheek, my fingers gently grazing over the bandage. "I'm sorry about the others... if we had realized sooner-

Levi placed his pointer finger on my lips hushing me. "They risked their lives to help us get further to saving humanity... we will honor their deaths when the time comes... but for now we gotta keep fighting." he says. Nodding my head I rest my forehead against his.

I was glad that he came out of this with only a few scratches... even if it seemed selfish of me.

Levi then pulled back and continued cleaning and stitching as best he could, I wondered how much longer we'd have to live like this... hiding and running... I wonder how Hanji's doing... and Erwin.

We all went outside to sit around the fire. Sasha stood guard while the others sat around eating and drinking. I sat between Levi and Jean quietly eating. "How are you Armin? Can you not stomach any food?" Levi questions.

"No... Jean." Armin then calls.

"Hmm?" he questions.

"I don't understand... when... when I was getting ready to remove my gun, to be honest I thought I was already too late... sorry but it seemed she to have already aimed her's at you, but why did I have to be the first one to shoot?" Armin rambles on.

"B-because-

Levi looked off to the side away from them with a slight frown. "Because right before she opened fire she hesitated right?" Levi asks.

"Oh..." Armin mutters.

"I'm sorry... I should've shot first in that situation." Jean says, I could see the guilt in his expression.

"You're right... but that person... must've been kind...and more morality that me." Armin mutters.

"Your hand's have already been dirty... there is no going back." Levi says.

Mikasa glared at him. "Why do you have to say stuff like that?"

Levi simply ignored her. "Just try to accept your new self, if your hands would've stayed clean Jean wouldn't be here now... you pulled the trigger because you were about to watch your friend's death. You were smart and knew at that moment no half assed decision wouldn't save anyone, you knew that if we lost comrades, supplies or horses our future would be lost." Levi goes on.