20

Chapter 20: Now You Know

═════ 🌙 ═════

~(Y/N)~

For once I didn't have to wake up early which was nice. Shifting in the bed I turn and lay on my back. Staring up at the ceiling I let out a sigh, with my hands on my stomach I feel my abdomen rise and fall with each breath.

Today I had a day off, from training and studying. The expedition was only a couple days away now and I was growing a little more nervous about it. I slipped out of bed by eight in the morning, I couldn't sleep any longer and didn't want to lay in bed all day.

Getting dressed into a pair of pants and button up I head out the door. When I stepped out the door I ran right into Hanji. "Oh good! I was just coming to get you!" she shouts.

Hanji quickly grabbed my arm and yanked me down the hall. "W-what's going on? I was gonna go into town... to you know." I whisper towards the end.

She stopped and smirked down at me. "You won't need to now." she says.

She continued to tug me along until we reached her office. Opening the door she revealed an old little lady. I felt unsure an old woman would be able to remember something as complex as this. Entering the office slowly the old woman looked over at me and smiled.

"Hello." I greet.

Hanji walked around me and sat in her chair. Stepping closer I took a seat next to the woman, she turned and smiled at me. "You must be (Y/N), I'm Madeline." the woman greet, her voice was scratching and low.

"Hello." I greet, quickly shaking her hand I smile.

"(Y/N) needs information on how to travel through time... you know what we talked about." Hanji says to Madeline.

The old woman nodded and turned back to me. "I see... well I've brought a few books." she says. She goes to lean down to the bag beside her. Stopping her I offer to grab them for her, she smiled and nodded.

Taking the bag, I pull out the books. "Will this tell me how to do it?" I ask.

The woman shrugged her shoulders slightly but nodded her head. "There are many ways of going about it." she answers.

Confused I look over at Hanji who was sitting back listening. "Do you mind if I borrow these?" I ask. She smiled and took hold of my wrist.

"Feel free to keep them, I have no need for them." she says.

Smiling I thanked her. Instead of having the old woman tell me, Hanji walked her out while I looked through the book. The woman was right, there was many ways of doing it, but I passed through an unwritten grave.

I flipped through the pages until I found a drawing of a blank grave. My eyes scanned over the text. When I got to the bottom of the page it became more descriptive about how to pass through. For an individual to pass back to their original time, they must wait a year after arriving. If they fail to do so then they will have to wait again.

I'm stuck here for a year?! I flipped the page over reading the next page. One, will also have to carve the year they wish to travel to, along with this will be the ashes of the object from their original time. Then you must spread the ashes before the grave on the anniversary day.

I look up at Hanji, handing her the book she read over what I read. When she finished she looked over to me. "Do you have anything from your time to use?" she asks.

I nodded my head. I hoped a picture would work because that's all I've got that would work. "I'd have to wait anyway... it says that after arriving you have to wait a year to go back." I explain.