21

Chapter 21: Watching Over Me

═════ 🌙 ═════

~(Y/N)~

I sat there on my horse waiting for the gates to open. I was positioned slightly behind Levi, I look to my side finding Eren with his head turned away from me. He was looking at some children.

Snapping fingers caught my attention, my head snapped forward finding Levi turned looking back at me. With his pointer finger he curled it in a come hither motion. Gently kicking the horse's side I move up a little right next to Levi.

"Promise me you'll be careful." he mutters.

I kept my eyes forward and nodded once. "As long as you do the same." I mutter back.

"Sure." Levi says. I turn my head looking at him doubting his words, his eyes stared back at me.

"I promise... now get back to your position." he orders.

Forcing a smile I tug the reigns making my horse move backwards. When I got back the gates were slowly opening. So much for moving back. Slowly everyone began to move forward before the horses went into a full gallop.

When we got out to the fields everyone dispersed into their assigned positions. I kept close to Levi as possible and would check behind me seeing how Eren was.

~Time Skip~

Everything seemed to be going smoothly, only we were changing course now as we saw green smoke. I turn my head and watch Levi start heading to where ever it was. Just follow him. In the distance I could see a forest and Levi wasn't moving anywhere else, he was going straight for it.

As, our horses galloped towards the wooded area I turn to my right finding another cadet coming up. A messenger. "I have a message!" he says coming closer.

"The right flank lookouts have taken a devastating blow. Any enemy detection has been disabled from them, please relay this message to the squads to your left!" the man says.

Levi turned his head and nodded at Petra. "You heard the man, go." he says.

"Yes sir!" Petra yells.

I watched as she broke away from the group. I dart my head back looking at Eren, his expression seemed worrisome. Oh, right Armin is in the right flank... oh no, I hope he's okay.

Soon we were ordered that only the center files were allowed to enter the forest. The trees were huge, and the forest was dark making it more eerie as we entered. "Why are we in a forest Captain?" Eren asks.

Levi didn't turn his head, I didn't bother answering because technically I wasn't supposed to know what was going on. "Sir, how are we supposed to detect the enemy if we're the only file to enter, how can we protec-"

"Would you look around you? We have these big ass trees, perfect place to use odm gear." Levi interjects, his head now turned slightly to the side.

"I suggest you use your head if you don't wanna die." Levi adds.

I look back at Eren who sat up straight, his eyes wondering at his other comrades. Before Eren could say anything else there was a loud crash, the sound of a signal flare shot. All our heads darted back finding black smoke protruding directly behind us a few miles away. Ah shit.

"It's directly behind us!"

"It's whatever's been coming from the right." Eld says before turning his head forward.