Claire and Present Danger

A/N: This is a shorter chapter

“What good is this amulet if it can’t help me with this?” Jim questions, pointing to the glowing fetch with our amulet in hand. “Claire’s brother is trapped somewhere in the Darklands, and there’s nothing we can do about it?” He continues, pointing over at me as Blinky stares at him while Aaarrrgghh plays a video game on Toby’s TV.

“Unfortunately, there is nothing any one of us can do.” Blinky says, looking at Jim.

“What about the furgolator machine? If we shrink down, maybe…”

“And what happens when the effects wear off and we’re stuck in there?” I ask, folding my arms as I stare at Jim.

“And the Darklands is a black labyrinth, Master Jim.” Blinky adds. “Simply finding baby Enrique would be a nigh impossible task of its own.”

“Gunmar.” Aaarrrgghh grows, staring at his video game.

“Aaarrrgghh is right. If any of us were foolish enough to cross over, under no circumstances could you be saved, at risk of freeing Gunmar.” Blink agrees, looking at Jim.

“But, what if…”

Aaarrrgghh quickly stands up, slamming his fist into the wooden floor of Toby’s room.

“Under no circumstances!” He growls loudly.

“Dude, don’t be reckless! You almost just lost a golden tuna roll! Sit down! Relax!” Toby says, attempting to calm Aaarrrgghh down.

Jim sighs softly, staring down at our amulet.

“What happened to the Trollhunter answering every call?” He asks, looking up at Blinky.

“You have a strong heart, Master Jim, a quality rarely seen in trolls. I believe you and Mistress Astrid will answer that child’s call, but that day is not today.” He looks over at me.

I sigh softly, placing my hand on Jim’s shoulder.

“We’ll get Enrique back someday, Jim. I promise.” I say softly.

We all glance over at Toby’s dollhouse as we hear loud chittering.

Chompsky stood there, yelling at Toby’s Sally doll angrily. He waves his hand at the female doll before running out of the house, putting his hand up in a solute.

“Chompsky, no. It’s too much to ask.” Toby says, staring down at the gnome.

Chompsky just chitters aggressively before saluting again, looking up at the glowing fetch.

We all watch nervously as Chompsky slowly approaches the edge of the fetch.

“Be careful.” Jim says softly, picking up the small gnome. “It’s dangerous in the Darklands. When you find Claire’s brother, just give us a tug and we’ll get you back, okay?” He asks, pointing to the rope tied around Chompsky’s waist.

Chompsky chitters excitedly in understanding as Blinky kneels down next to him.

“I have sorely misjudged you. You are no vermin. You are a ‘ver-man’.” He says.

“Wait!” Toby shouts, reaching into the dollhouse and pulling out his Sally doll. “She has something to say.” He says, adjusting the dolls arms as though she were going to hug someone.

Chompsky lets out a soft, sad moan before grabbing the Sally doll and hugging her, sighing. He dips the pink doll and begins to kiss her, humming a soft tune before handing her back to Toby.