Roaming Fees May Apply

“The teeth tear and chew, grinding food into paste before it’s swallowed.” Coach explains, looking over the sea of students that were staring up at him. “Then, it travels down the windpipe. I mean, esophagus.” He corrects himself.

“So, the reason you were late and covered in dirt is because you and Astrid were fighting a mud monster?” Claire questions, glancing between Jim and me.

“While there was some gnarly troll watching you? Talk about creepy.” Toby adds.

“I know! It was like he was… studying us.” Jim says softly, looking at the two of them.

“To the guts, where the juices break it down into a bubbling nasty soup.” Coach continues, pointing to the diagram on the board.

“What are you gonna do?” Claire asks.

“I don’t know. I haven’t figured that out yet.” Jim sighs.

“So, after it weaves through this mess, it comes out the old… you know… the back door.” Coach finishes, looking at us.

“Coach? Yeah, thank you.” Steve starts, raising his hand. “Don’t mean to ‘butt’ in, but I’d like to ‘gas’ a question?” He says, smiling as the class bursts into giggles.

“Hey! Poo’s laughing?” He asks as I roll my eyes.

“Watch it, Palchuk.” Coach warns.

“This is-This is serious.” Steve smiles.

“Hey, why don’t you shut your hole, Steve?” Jim asks.

“Yeah, butt out, Dillweed.” I add.

The two of us quickly facepalm, realizing what we said as the class bursts into laughter.

“Oh, that’s it! That’s it jokers! The three of you, principal’s office, now!” Coach demands, pointing to the three of us.

I roll my eyes as the three of us make our way to Strickler’s office.

“You think you can out poo-pun me, Grace and Lake?” Steve growls at us.

“How could I do that when you are the biggest piece of sh…” Jim stops speaking as Strickler opens the door to the office.

“Young Atlas, Ms. Grace, getting into trouble again, I see.” The changeling states, walking up to the three of us.

“Ahem, Principal Strickler, this has been a huge misunderstanding.” Steve says as Strickler takes a seat at his desk.

“You have a lot of nerve showing your face around here, Strickler.” I say spitefully, glaring up at the changeling.

“I’ve decided I’m not done with you two. Your education has just begun.” Strickler smirks, looking between Jim and me.

“Oh good! Maybe we’re slow learners. Because we can’t figure out why you’d come back after we dropped a bomb all over your big parade.” Jim says, slamming his fist on Strickler’s desk as Steve watches with a confused expression.

“For the record, I just want to say, they do not speak on my behalf.” Steve says, holding up his finger.

“Shut up, Steve!” The three of us shout at the boy, causing him to flinch back in fear.

“I’m in a position to make your life truly miserable.” Strickler continues, looking back to Jim and me.

“We could take you out right now.” I growl at him.