Gnome Your Enemy

“For centuries, the troll and human worlds stood separate and at peace, divided by bridges that acted as doorways between our two realms. But the Gumm-Gumms wanted to devour all of mankind. They were led by Gunmar the Black. The rest of troll kind fought against him, culminating the great Battle of Killahead Bridge, the portal to Gunmar’s Darklands. After many moons, good triumphed over evil, and our great Trollhunter, Deya the Deliverer, locked Gunmar away, exiling him to the Darklands, and sealed Killahead Bridge with the sacred amulet. After, we tore it apart, stone by stone. We left the old world in search for peace. We stowed away on a ship called the Mayflower. Just a handful of us and some gnomes we brought along for companionship, and nourishment. Finally we arrived in a strange and exotic realm.”

“New Jersey.”

“We kept walking. Eventually, we came across a new Heartstone, and we realized we had found a new home… under Arcadia.”

I lean against Aaarrrgghh with a smile, listening to Blinky’s history lesson with intrigue.

Blinky groans as he glances at us over his book, his eyes landing on the sleeping Jim that laid against Aaarrrgghh’s arm. Blinky walks over to the four of us, slamming his book shut loudly in front of Jim, startling him awake.

“Lo siento, Senor Draal! No me mates!” (I am sorry, sir Draal! Do not kill me!) Jim shouts.

I burst out into laughter, falling over as I clench my gut.

“The training of troll history might seem like a minor duty, Master Jim, but…”

“Sorry, I pulled an all-nighter studying for my Spanish Comprehension exam and my brain is muy gooey.” Jim apologizes, cutting Blinky off. “I dunno, I guess I thought if we’re facing Draal in a week, our training would be a little more… active.” Jim sighs, standing.

“We?” I question, standing up with him. “Hate to break it to you, but you challenged Draal yourself! I had nothing to do with it.” I say.

“But we’re in this together!” He responds, looking at me.

“She is right, Master Jim. You challenged Draal’s honor on your own. Mistress Astrid could not help if she wanted to.” Blinky explains.

Jim groans and looks at me. “But my previous statement still stands.” He says.

“Yeah, when is he going to learn Troll-kwondo? Or Rock-itsu?” Toby questions, wrapping his arm around Jim’s shoulder.

“Before one fights, Toby D, one must understand why one fights.” Blinky says. “For these precious early steps will decide whether a young Trollhunter will become a Deya the Deliverer…” He gestures to the statue of a fearsome Trollhunter.

“Or Unkar, the Unfortunate.” Aaarrrgghh finishes, looking at the statue of Unkar Jim and I saw on our first day.

“Well, tomorrow, my Spanish exam is with Senor Uhl the Unforgiving.” Jim says, holding up his Spanish book. “My main concern is for my immediate future!”

“A-ha!” Blinky exclaimes pointing to Jim. “But, to learn what will happen in the future, one must only look to the past!” He says, handing the book to Jim, who nearly falls over due to the weight. “I recommend A Brief Recapitulation of Troll Lore by the venerable Bedehilde. Volume one of forty-seven. I should have a spare copy in my studies for you, Mistress Astrid.” Blinky says, looking at me.

“Okay, but if I don’t pass the exam, I’m grounded, and I can’t be the Trollhunter.” Jim explains, backing up a bit. “Sorry Blinky, but the amulet chose me, and now I have two lives to keep up.”