The Adventures in Troll-sitting

“Check that baby out.” Toby smiles as the three of us stare at the newest Vespa model.

“Vespa 300 GTS Super.” Jim says dreamily. “Single-cylinder catalyzed four-stroke Quasar engine. Hmm… Can you imagine me going down the road on that? Wind whipping through my hair, Claire holding tight to my back…”

“Me, cruising in the side-car next to ya.” Toby adds, interrupting Jim’s daydream.

Jim gives him a soft glare, making Toby chuckle nervously.

“Oh, you imagined you and Claire alone, didn’t you?” He questions.

Jim sighs softly, pulling himself away from the show-room window.

“What are the chances of your mom getting you one for your birthday?” I ask.

“Only slightly worse than me winning the lottery and buying it myself.” Jim responds.

“How much you got saved?” Toby asks.

“Only 328 bucks and 32 cents. By the time I earn enough, these things will be driving themselves!” Jim scoffs.

He suddenly gasps loudly, pointing to the reflection in the window.

“Do you see that?” He asks.

“See what?” Toby and I question, looking to where he was pointing.

“Goblin!” Jim shouts, running off.

“What?” Toby and I question again before chasing after him.

“It’s a goblin! With a baby!” Jim says.

I look up on the powerline, gasping when I see the goblin Jim was talking about.

“Come on Jim, it’s just a bird!” Toby shouts.

I quickly run up beside Jim, watching the goblin nervously.

“What would a goblin want with a baby?” I ask.

“I dunno. But it can’t be good.” Jim says.

We both turn down an alleyway that the goblin was heading down, stopping when we realize it was a dead end.

I notice Jim walking over to something that was laying on the ground and pick it up. It looked like a poorly homemade stuffed bunny.

“Chill out man! This Trollhunting is making you hallucinate!” Toby says, running behind us while panting. “I mean, what would a goblin want with a baby?”

“I don’t know… But I’m going to find out.” Jim says, staring down at the bunny.

I climb up the wall next to Jim, straining my arms to pull myself up.

“Let me get this straight.” Jim starts, talking to Blinky, Aaarrrgghh and Toby, who were sitting safely on the edge of the cliff Jim and I were climbing.

The two of us stop climbing when we hear gears turning inside the wall. We cry out and move out of the way as flame shoots out from the rock.

“They steal babies…” Jim continues, climbing up the rock again. “So they can replace them with changelings?”

“Precisely, Master Jim!” Blinky calls down as I jump to a nearby ledge.

“Uh, allegedly steal. I just saw a bird.” Toby says, shrugging.

I throw my hand over the edge of the cliff, panting heavily as I pull myself up.

“Great job, Mistress Astrid!” Blinky compliments, patting my back. “And in order for a changeling to maintain its appearance in our world, no harm must come to the human child in theirs.” He shouts, returning to talk to Jim. “I assure you, there is no safer place for a baby to be than the bowels of the Darklands nursery.”