Mudslinging

I smile slightly as students begin to cheer as we all sit down in the auditorium.

“Give me an A!” Coach Lawrence shouts into the microphone.

“A!” All the students shout.

“Give me an R!”

“R!”

“Give me a C!”

“C!”

“This is taking way too long! Give me an ‘adia’!”

A few students shout ‘adia’ uncertainly while the rest just give Coach a confused look.

“What’s that spell?” Coach asks.

Nobody answered.

“Arcadia!” Coach scoffs, rolling his eyes.

The students begin to cheer as the mole mascot pops up in front of him.

“Go moles. Go, moles.” Coach says sarcastically, gently pushing the mole mascot out of the way. “Before we begin, I have a few announcements.” Coach continues.

“And his eye is glowing. And then, the dream just keeps reminding me that I’m completely out of my league!” Jim says, describing the strange dream he keeps having to me and Toby.

“Sounds rough.” I tell him before glancing down at Toby, who was staring down at the dancing mole mascot.

“Right?” Jim asks, looking down at Toby. “Tobes.” He says, noticing his friend wasn’t paying him any attention.

“Who is that masked mole? You ever wonder?” Toby asks, not taking his eye off the mole.

Jim rolls his eyes before looking down at Toby.

“You didn’t hear a word I just said, did you?” He asks.

“Sure I did. You had no problem sneaking into the Darklands when it was to save Claire’s brother, but now that Kanjigar says you two have to face Gunmar, you’re having nightmares about him and are freaking out that you’re way out of your league.” Toby explains as I give him an amazed look.

“I can multi-task Jimbo!” He adds as the two boys turn back to the mole.

“It’s Bill Aronstein.” Jim tells him.

“Bill moved to Wisconsin. This is someone else’s artistry. Someone with… feminen wiles.” Toby says.

“What feminen wiles? How do you even know it’s a girl under there?” I question.

“Trust me Astrid, I know women, and that is all woman under there.” Toby replies.

I give him a confused look before turning back to the mole mascot, just in time to see them stumble into Coach.

The whole auditorium bursts into laughter as Coach angrily shoves the mascot away.

“Alright, Mole! That’s enough! Go back into your burrow or whatever!” He growls. “Okay, Principal Levit has taken ill with the flu. He’s asked me to handle announcing the students the faculty’s nominated for the year-end Spring Fling King and Queen.”

I groan as I roll my eyes.

I never was a fan of the Spring Fling.

“The nominees are: Shannon Longhannon! I’ll pronounce it soon Shannon. Darci Scott!”

I glance down at Darci, who had just taken a seat next to Claire.

The girl squeals loudly in joy as Coach continues to announce names.