Win, Lose or Draal

“Move to the center.” The man behind the window tells me.

I move to the center of the room, weakly holding up my board that showed my prison number.

I blink a few times at the bright light as they suddenly take my picture.

“Ok, you’re free to go.” He says. “Next!”

I walk out of the room, following Jim and Toby as we walk to Jim’s mom, Barbara’s car.

The three of us wait quietly in the back seat as Barbara walks out of the police station, talking to Mr. Strickler.

“I mean, who else do you think is hiding an evil troll face?” Toby asks. “Coach Lawrence? Steve?” He suddenly gasps. “What if Strickler’s one of them?”

Jim looks out of the window to Mr. Strickler. “Strickler has been teaching history at Arcadia Oaks High since the dawn of history! If he’s one, I’m one.” He says, looking over at Toby, who was staring at him intently.

He sighs and pushes Toby away, grabbing his phone. “I know where I’ve seen this bridge…” Jim says softly, looking at the blurry photo Toby had taken in the museum. “It’s the same one that Blinky was talking about!”

“The Killahead Bridge?” I say softly.

“But that’s, like, ancient history, right?” Toby asks nervously.

“They’re trying to break Gunmar out!” Jim exclaims. “Oh, this is bad guys, like ‘Goodbye Arcadia’ bad! As soon as we get home, we’re going to Blinky!”

We all gasp and fall silent as Barbara gets in the driver's seat of the car.

“You really didn’t have to go through all this trouble, Mr. Strickler.” She says, looking up at Strickler, who was poking his head through the passenger window.

“Please, Walter.” Strickler smiles. “I’m sorry we had to meet under this unfortunate circumstance.”

“There must be some way I can repay you. Coffee? Dinner? Appendix removal?” Barbara offers jokingly.

“Uh, coffee would be a delight.” Strickler smiles. “And a raincheck on the appendectomy.”

“Looking forward to it, Walter.” Barbara smiles.

“Watch yourself, young Atlas. You as well, Ms. Grace.” Strickler says, looking at Jim and glancing back at me. “Next time, the consequences could be more severe.”

And with that, Strickler walks away from the car.

“Did you actually just ask my teacher out on a date?” Jim asks, looking at Barbara in disbelief.

“Oh, don’t you make this about me! You guys broke into a museum! And for this?” She holds up Toby’s Chubby Tracker. “You are grounded until you apologize to that woman!”

Barbara takes a deep breath before starting the car. “You got me?” She asks, pointing at us.

“Yes mom.” Jim mumbles.

“Yes, Dr. Lake.” Toby and I say softly, looking down.

With that, we started a quiet, awkward drive home.

I quickly jump out of my window, landing silently on the grass below. I run over to the sidewalk, where Jim and Toby were waiting for me.

“Let’s go.” Jim nods, and we all run towards the canal.

“Are you certain?” Blinky questions, staring down at the picture on Toby’s phone. “Are you unquestionably, unequivocally…”

“I’m certain.” Jim says confidently.