Bittersweet Sixteen

“Warhammer to Trollhunters, do you copy?”

I groan loudly as I reach over and grab my walkie off my bedside table.

“Trollhunter 2 here.” I say sleepily, not fully awake.

“Tollhunter 1, I copy. What is it, Tobes?” Jim questions.

“Look out your window!”

I slowly open my eyes and stand up, looking out my window. I giggle softly as I see Toby waving a cardboard cutout of a cake towards Jim.

I quickly notice a large bite mark that was on the top of the cake.

“I think a… bird or something tore a piece of your drawing away, Tobes.” Jim says, making me giggle.

“Oh, that was Aaarrrgghh. He thought the cake was real. Or maybe he just likes the taste of paper.” Toby explains.

“Any word from Claire yet, Jimbo?” I ask, remembering the disaster we had made of her house after trying to catch her changeling brother.

“No, she’s not returning any of my texts. It’s not like I destroyed her house or anything. Oh wait. It is.” Jim says glumly.

“Dude, you didn’t destroy her house. Her fake baby brother did.” Toby says, pulling his paper cutout into his house.

“Yeah. I’ll be sure to mention that.” Jim says comically.

“Have you thought about it? Telling her, I mean.” I ask.

“Telling her that her brother has been replaced by a shape-shifting changeling troll because of me? Is there a hallmark card for that?” Jim asks.

“If there’s not, then there should be.” I giggle.

“In the meantime, ignorance is bliss, and I’ve got a birthday gift for you that Aaarrrgghh cannot eat.” Toby adds. “Ugh, Aaarrrgghh ate the kitty litter again. Gotta go. Warhammer out.” He continues before falling silent.

“Yeah, I’ve gotta go too. Trollhunter 2, out.” I say, setting my walkie on the table.

I then walk over to my closet and get dressed in my usual fitted black shirt and jeans before walking downstairs, grabbing my book bag that held my amulet.

“I’m heading out, mom! I’ll be back tonight!” I shout to the kitchen, where my mom was making breakfast.

“Whatever you say. See you tonight!” She shouts back as I walk out the door.

As I walk out, I quickly spot Toby waiting for me in front of his house.

“Hey, you ready?” He asks as I walk up to him.

“You’re seriously going to do this?” I ask him, adjusting the strap of my bag.

“Obviously!” Toby smirks before running towards Jim’s house in a panic.

I roll my eyes as I follow after him.

“Jim! You gotta come quick!” Toby shouts as the two of us run into his open garage. “There’s an emergency in…” He hesitates when he sees Barbara standing beside Jim. “The place.” He finishes quickly. “With the thing. It’s not even an emergency actually…”

“Hey, is that a food magic?” I stop Toby, staring at the red blender in Jim’s hand 

“3000.” Barbara says with a smile.

“I’ll leave you kids to it. But Jim, tonight, celebration.” She says, doing a mini dance before walking inside.

“Looking forward.” Jim sighs before looking at us.