A Night to Remember

“We need help! Please!” Jim begs desperately.

I pant heavily as I walk behind Jim and Barbara, helping to support Strickler.

“Humans in Trollmarket?” A troll asks in disgust.

“What’s going on?” Another asks.

“Fleshbags!” One shouts.

“What are they doing here?”

“I don’t trust him.”

“They don’t belong here.”

I glance down at Strickler, who was struggling to keep his eyes open.

“Hang in there, Mr. Strickler. We’re almost there.” I say, leading him through the crowd of trolls, following behind Jim and Barbara.

“We need Vendel!” I shout, looking over the crowd of trolls. “Where’s Vendel?”

“Jim! Astrid!” A familiar female voice calls out. Claire, Blinky and Aaarrrgghh come running up to the four of us, all looking at us with concern.

“Great Gronka Morka, what happened?!” Blinky asks worriedly.

“Angor attacked Strickler. The binding spell!” Jim explains.

Strickler coughs roughly beside me, earning everyone's attention.

“A changeling!” One shout, as if just noticing him.

“Let’s crush him!” Another shouts, raising his fist.

“No!” Aaarrrgghh shouts back, running up beside me with his own fist raised defensively.

“Stop!” A male voice shouts. “Not unless you want to kill the boy's mother too.” Vendel says, walking to the top of the stairs leading to the heartstone.

“Quickly! Bring them both to the examination dwell.” He orders Jim and I.

Aaarrrgghh goes to take Strickler from me, accidentally crushing his waist in the process.

Barbara cries out in pain as Blinky picks her up gently.

I quickly run up beside Blinky, looking down at Barbara worriedly.

“You’re going to be okay, Barbara.” Blinky says softly.

“M-Mr. Blinky?” Barbara asks breathlessly before finally passing out in his arms.

“Quickly, this way!” Vendel orders, leading us towards the examination dwell.

“I closed the gate before Angor Rot got in.” Toby pants beside me, handing the Horngazle to Claire.

“Vendel’s going to be able to fix this, right Blink?” Claire asks worriedly.

“Only the Fates can tell now.” Blinky responds. “Barbara’s only hope is to break the spell that entwines her fate with Strickler’s. If Vendel can, maybe, just maybe, she’ll be strong enough to survive on her own.”

“Bring the changeling. I must treat him as well.” Vendel orders as we finally arrive at the medical room.

Aaarrrgghh leads Strickler into the medical room as Vendel takes Barbara from Blinky.

Jim stands in front of the room, a worried expression on his face as his armor disappears off his body.

After giving Strickler to Vendel, Aaarrrgghh walks out of the room to join us.

The six of us wait nervously for what seemed like hours, Jim pacing back and forth worriedly.

I let out a soft sigh before glancing up at the room, spotting Vendel walking down the steps slowly with Strickler, whose arm was now in an arm sling, at his side.