Chapter 45

It was almost ten in the evening when the Broadway star got a text message from Ellie.

The latter had wanted to speak with her at that time. It was rare for El to demand meeting her at the dead of a night, making Lea think that it must be something very important. The singer then just remembered that her protege had actually went back to her place tonight so she thought that the young woman might have to share what happened back home.

Good thing, the Broadway veteran is actually nocturnal making it alright for her to meet the woman this sudden. She went downstairs to see her husband Rob, who's busy trying to do something on his iPad at the living room.

"Hon, did El already came?" she asks the man.

"Nope. Is she coming here?"

"She sent me a message saying she wanted to talk eh."

"Maybe she's already on her way."

Even if it's already late at night, Ellie coming over sounds normal for Robert Chien. After all, they consider the young woman a part of their family.

"Should I wake Nicole up?" He asks his wife as he knew seeing El would make their daughter happy. And since it's the weekend, it would be fine even if the kid stays up late.

"Uhh. No, don't. I'm thinking she might be here for something serious."

Lea sat on the couch for a moment as she waits at the arrival of her protege. She had instructed their driver to open up the big gates to welcome Ellie on the premises.

After a while their helper advised her that Ellie already arrived but insists on just staying at their driveway to wait for the singer. This makes the Broadway star wonder what seems to be going on.

She went outside their main home and went straight towards their big driveway, seeing Ellie standing just near their big black gates.

"Hey, what are you doing out here? Why don't you come inside?"

"I-I.. I prefer to just stay here." Ellie was panting as she responds to the veteran theater actress. Lea could see sweats running from the young woman's forehead.

Seeing that there's no sign of Ellie's car, she asked the young woman. "Did you run all the way here? Would you like to get some water first?" The singer worriedly asks as she could see how tired El's face is.

Ellie tried to catch her breath before she fully replied to her coach. She wiped her forehead with the back of her palm as she looks at the Broadway veteran's eyes with hurt and sorrow.

"W-Why? Why didn't you tell me?" Lea was shocked to see Ellie's eyes which are starting to form tears around them.

"I'm not sure what you're talking about. What do you mean?"

"You said she'd only told you about the marriage. Why did you not tell me that she knew about us?!" The young woman's voice rise up a bit but made sure that it will not be heard by those who are inside the singer's home.

Lea was taken aback with her protege's question. It was true, when she had been telling her all the things she talked about with her mother, she skipped out the part where Rebecca had outspokenly mentioned that she knew what the real score between them was. The Broadway star decided not to tell El about this as she doesn't want this to become an issue between her and her mother, but it seems that it already did.

"I just thought that it's no longer necessary to tell you about that part. It's already between me and your mom. Does it really matter to you?"

El could no longer hide the frustration on her face. She could not repress anymore the tears she's been holding back. The young woman felt so defeated to the point that she just want to disappear from this world.

"Of course it does! If only I had known then I've come prepared. Now there's nothing I can do.."

Lea couldn't really understand why her protege had been acting like this. Yes, it's uncomfortable having Rebecca aware of their real relationship, but as what her mother said, it would be best to have this known only among them, as it would ruin not just the singer's reputation but Ellie's as well. And so, the Broadway diva is sure herself that the Martinez matriarch will not have this easily leaked out to the media to protect her own daughter.

"Prepared for what?"

Ellie stared at her coach's face for few minutes before giving off her answer. She tried to memorize and scan the Broadway star's visage which shows off a worried and confused look, all whilst remaining beautiful. She doesn't know how to properly say it in simple terms that would make the singer understand.

"I.. I could no longer bargain with my mom." the young woman's voice sounded defeated when she said those words, and her tears kept on rolling from her cheeks making it hard for her to hold back her sobs.

"Bargain for what? Are you talking about the marriage thing?" Lea became more confused than ever. She wanted to hug her protege right now, but she isn't sure if it's the right thing to do. Instead, she put her hands on her shoulders and have the woman look at her eye to eye.

"Ellie, tell me. What's really going on?"

"Coach Lea.. I.. I do not have any choice anymore.. In order for my mother to keep mum about us, I had to agree with marrying my ex. If I decline, then who knows what they'll do. I cannot afford to put a stain on your name."

The Broadway star felt her heart torn into million pieces. When Ellie said the other day that she won't let the marriage happen, she was somehow relieved. But now that the woman says it face to face that she doesn't have any choice about it, tears started to fall down from her own eyes. The singer could feel her heart broken upon hearing Ellie's words. Her imagination ran wild with images of Ellie walking down the aisle, having married off to somebody else, being intimate with a guy and leaving her permanently in this damned country, shatters all her hopes of happiness.

She couldn't become happy without Ellie by her side. Her world would turn upside down the moment her protege leaves her to be with another man. Lea just knew that she couldn't live life fully without Ellie's existence.

"What do you mean?" her hands fell down from Ellie's shoulders as she ask her protege with a breaking voice.

"In order to protect you, I must restrain myself from pursuing anything romantic between us."

"I do not get it at all. You're giving away yourself to be married off to some guy, isn't it already enough? And now you're telling me we're breaking up?!"

"Until I have signed the marriage certificate, my parents won't feel relieved and there's no way for me to know what things they may be up to."

"From the way you say it, it's like you're telling me that they might do something bad to me."

"My parents are capable of things you cannot imagine.. And I just want to make sure that you'll be safe from them.. At least that's all I can do from now on." Lea could see how heartbreaking it is for Ellie to say those words. She herself could no longer contain her tears. This is the most hurtful situation she ever had.

Lea couldn't think of the right word on how to call this kind of situation they are in. They could not refer this as a breakup since they're not officially together, and their relationship is that of a sin and secrecy.

"You promised you'll always be by my side."

"I am, and I will still be. But I can only stay behind your shadows watching your back. This way, I can protect you in my own ways."

"Is this the end?" Lea tries to wipe her tears as she asks Ellie. They were both silently crying as they try to settle what would happen from now on.

"I love you. You'll forever be my coach." El hugs the Broadway star tightly as if it would be the last time she'll be seeing her.