Chapter 44

The Martinez family just casually ate the supper served to them, acting like everything was just fine and normal between them

Despite having arguments and issues for their demands on her, Ellie's parents sure know how to behave well with good manners especially in front of a meal.

Being cool as he is, Eleazar took this time to have a casual talk with his daughter.

"So how was work bunny?" her father never failed to call her bunny ever since she was a kid. And even if she is already a fully grown up woman, her dad keeps on addressing her like that.

"Uhmm. Tiring but it was all fun." was El's brief response.

"I know there's nothing you can't do if you set your mind to it, but hija why bother doing this theater work?" Felicitas asks. Her grandmother always give her support to whatever she has been doing but this time the elderly begs to differ as she could see how haggard her granddaughter's face has become.

"I actually didn't plan for it Nanay." Ellie begins to explain on how it started at all; telling them how Kayla Rivera got injured and that Atlantis wanted to get an effective replacement as soon as possible.

Despite agreeing to Ellie's arranged married with her ex, Felicitas and Eleazar seems to show interest in what keeps the young woman busy. They have been personally asking all the adventures El had to experience for these past few months.

With all these happening, Rebecca remained silent as she just enjoys all the food they were eating. It made Ellie uncomfortable as she is used to her mom speaking or joining in on the conversation at most times. This also hasn't escaped the insightful eyes of her husband.

"Sweetheart, are you alright? You seem to be quiet." asks the tanned man.

Ellie tried not to look at her mother's direction as the latter was asked by Eleazar. Rebecca just smiled at her husband as she gives him her answer.

"Yeah. I'm all good. I'm just saving all my thoughts for later."

The young woman knew that 'later' was intended for her. Her mother had wished to speak with her after dinner to discuss some things. Ellie had expected this, for she wished to speak with her mom too, to convince her against the wedding.

And so after their meal, the mother and daughter went to the saloon area to discuss plans for Ellie once again. The young woman's grandmother no longer joined them as the elderly decided to retire for the night, which leaves El and her parents do a triad.

It was Rebecca who initiated their soon to be heated conversation. "So, are you gonna be back for good?" was the opening statement the woman made.

"Sweetheart, don't say it like that. Aren't we glad that our Ellie's back home again?"

"I'm sorry. I just have to attend work and I wouldn't be able to do that if you'll ground me here at home." El apologizes as she knew that leaving home without permission is uncalled for. They were still her parents and she should've respected them as such.

"We understand that you do not agree with the decision we've come up with. But we did not raise you to act like that. I hope you remember your manners Ellie. Just because you're all grown-up now doesn't mean that you can just easily rebel."

Ellie's eyes were apologetic as she bows down her head in defeat. Her parents have a point, initially they would just like to have a thorough talk in discussing her future plans. But since she doesn't want to, they've asked her not to leave the house until everything's settled and come to an agreement, making her miss a day in the play's rehearsals.

That should all be understandable, her parents were living far away from her and she should've been ready to make compromises about her schedule so to spend time with them, especially that it's rare for them and for her grandmother to fly back here in the Philippines.

Realizing all of this, El felt so stupid acting like a brat after running away from home. She could've faced it more maturely than what she did.

"Anyways bunny, please take in mind that we are doing this not for ourselves but for your own sake. We just want to make sure that you're going to be fine especially when we're no longer on this world. Both me and your mom are not young anymore."

"But dad, I'm already doing good. Not to brag but, I was able to be successful in the field that I chose, and I can totally manage on my own. If it's about the family's wealth, I can take it over once I'm more older and have done all the things I want. Or if you guys like, you can just leave it at the hands of ate Faye. I do not necessarily have to get married with Darren just for my future to be secured."

There was conviction in Ellie's eyes that both her parents was able to observe. They knew that their daughter inherited their own stubbornness, making the young woman try to justify her decision.

Knowing this might go nowhere, Rebecca posed a question that struck Ellie unprepared.

"Okay, let's say Darren is out of the picture. Will you finally agree if we have you marry someone else? You're not seeing anybody right now aren't you?" Her mom's voice were stern giving her a piercing look as she asks her of this. Ellie could only pause for a moment as she does not know what to answer.

Minutes passed and there were still no answer from the young woman, prompting for the Martinez' family's head to check her out.

"Bunny, are you alright? Why are you not saying anything?"

It seemed Eleazar's voice brought Ellie back to reality as she looks at both of her parents' faces, having her own visage with a shocked and uncomfortable look.

"I-I.."

"Don't tell us you actually have a boyfriend right now. Did your mother hit it spot-on?" El could still no longer give them a response as she is being asked of this by her father.

Ironically, it was her mother who came to Ellie's rescue.

"Honey, can you leave the both of us for a moment?" Rebecca asks her husband to leave the room nicely.

There was a confused look on Eleazar's face as to why his wife would request such, but as the latter gives him a smile, he just followed on what is being asked of him. After all, his spouse might have to discuss something important that only women can fully understand.

As the man left, Ellie was able to breathe a bit freely. She had started to feel suffocated with what's currently going on. Her mother gave her few more minutes to ease down a little.

After calming her nerves, El toughened up herself to answer the question posed at her.

"No, I'm not seeing somebody right now. But.. But mom, I can't just marry someone whom I don't love!"

"Ellie Rae. As your mother, I know you too well. With your situation you should be at least prepared to marry someone for convenience. That way, everything will work out."

"I-I.. I don't understand what you mean.."

"Ellie, honey. You can't just let yourself stay single your whole life just because you love her. Isn't it kind of unfair? She's all settled down until her retirement and you're all here wasting your youth on such an improbable cause."

There was no response from the young woman as she finds it hard to process all the things her mother is saying. She's getting the idea on who her mother was talking about. Ellie's body keeps on shaking as tears are starting to roll down from her eyes.

Rebecca's next words are deafening to her ears. El could feel her insides bursting out with pain, and she wished for herself to go numb. The young woman started to have doubts with the doctors who performed on her operation before, as they promised that everything went well and her heart condition is now all good. But right now, she's feeling her heart ache terribly with the words that struck her.

She wouldn't be able to forget what her mother just said.

"Ellie. We didn't born and raise you just to be Lea's querida."