Chapter 42

As their turn was already over, Ellie went back to the audience's seats to join her coach.

Nicole on the other hand, went back to where the students were mingling as to wait for everyone's turn to finish.

"That was nice. You can actually be a good Disney princess." Lea teases her protege.

"Oh come on. You jest." El replied laughing.

The young woman noticed that there was a hint of exhaustion on her coach's face despite so early in the day. She asked the Broadway star if there's something bothering her.

"El.. Later, let's talk."

Ellie could feel something serious is about to come as Lea invites her out for a conversation. It's a good thing that today Bobbi had permitted for them to have an additional work off so to attend Nicole's school activity, making her free for the day.

"Sure. What is it about?"

"I.. I have met your mother last night." Lea said with a blank expression on her face.

Her lover's eyes widened as she mentioned about her mother. El was unable to say anything in return as she remained dumbfounded with what she heard.

"I.. Uhh.. Okay. Let's talk later." Ellie tried to maintain her composure as other civilians could see them. She doesn't want to ruin the mood as the main reason they're here is to attend Nix' school event. The two talented woman waited patiently for the program proper to end.

As all the student-sibling turns were done, their home room teacher gave a brief speech before announcing who the winner for the most Talented Sibling for this year is.

It was actually an obvious choice, not because she is well-known, but rather since the other participants were no match for her singing prowess. Ellie and Nicole's name was called to go up the stage to receive their certificates and do some photo ops for the class' newspaper.

The teenager is so happy that they get to bag the award. She's all so proud with her Ate El that she always tell about her with her friends. The young woman in return, is so delighted seeing that the kid is so happy. She had missed to bond with her coach's daughter for a while now since she became so busy with personal matters she has to take care of.

With the morning program done, all students were required to go back to their classroom to resume their regular classes.

This left Lea and Ellie alone together as Nicole bids goodbye leaving them to return to their class. The two then decided to have lunch before going on their separate ways. The former drove themselves to Power Plant Mall so to have their afternoon spent there. 

The Broadway star waited for them to get settled down on their table and have their orders taken before she tackled her agenda with her protege. 

"So, what happened?" Ellie asked her coach nervously.

Lea looks at her protege closely. She could feel uneasiness from the young woman's tone of voice but Ellie's face remains calm and stoic.

"You look pretty calm even after knowing I just met your mom." 

El was a bit surprised to hear the singer's commentary. She doesn't want for her lover to misunderstood her when she looks so calm with the fact that Lea just had an encounter with her mother. 

"Please don't take it the wrong way. It's just that.. Knowing my mom, I kind of expected for this happen.  I mean, I knew she might approach those who are close to me. But not this soon."

Lea then continued to tell on how she and her husband got invited by the Martinez couple. The Broadway veteran did not left out any detail starting from how the invitation looks like and how El's parents reserved all the tables around them and how Eleazar tries to loosen up the tension during their dinner. 

"Hmm.. That's just like them." Ellie couldn't help herself but smile a bit as she recollects the images of her parents on her mind. Her coach realizes how the young woman have missed her family. El haven't seen them for quite a while now and so, despite their circumstances, the young woman still longs to be with her loved ones while they're here in the country.

"Rob says your father is cool and kind. They had like a man to man talk when your dad invited him to step out for a smoke."

"Yeah. He's not really that kind of a strict father. My mother is most likely to be the.."

Ellie stopped midway as a thought struck on her mind after fully realizing what might've happened with her coach's encounter with Rebecca.

"W-Wait.. Dad stepped out from your dinner last night!??"

The Broadway star got the reaction she was initially expecting earlier on.

"Yep. Both he and Rob went out for a while and I was left alone with Rebecca."

The young woman's face was painted with grief and horror. There are a lot of thoughts entering Ellie's mind. Her hand shakes involuntarily which forced her to put down the fork she's holding. El placed both of her palms at her lap as she could feel sweats coming from them.

"You look uncomfortable. You must have an idea what happened thereafter.." Lea said sarcastically. She couldn't control herself. She initially wanted to speak with El to inform the latter that her parents already knew about her location, but the bitterness she feels upon knowing Ellie is promised to some other guy, is slowly taking over her emotions.

"I'm sorry.. If only I didn't run away from home, you won't have to meet and encounter my mom." The young woman could only apologize to the Broadway veteran as she knew how imposing her mother could be.

El already had an idea that her mom would squeeze out her whereabouts from her coach. But there's another thing that makes her afraid to hear from the world class singer,

And that is if her authoritarian mom had mentioned about her arranged marriage.

Ellie was hoping that somehow her mother had just simply asked her coach for where she is currently staying after escaping from her home. But sadly, her heart has been shattered as the young woman hears Lea asking,

"When will you tell me that you are about to get married?"

El's jaw dropped open as she hears those words from the singer's mouth. This is the last thing she wants to happen right now. Ellie could not speak for a moment as her brain is having difficulty coming up with a morally acceptable reason on why she is being forced to marry someone else. 

"I.. N-No.. It's not happening."

"Your mother told me about it. She said the guy's name is Darren. I remember it clearly. That's the same man you told me before." There was hurt in the Broadway veteran's voice. She realized that El had already knew of this, and was mainly the reason why she escaped home.

"Coach, listen.. No matter what my mom said, that wedding will not push through. I won't let it happen." Ellie said with conviction and a worried voice. 

"Ellie, I know that despite us having feelings for each other, later on you'll have to get a family of your own. We can't just deny that your parents' wishes are all for your better sake." Lea's eyes almost got into tears as she says this to her protege. 

Sooner or later, they will have to face this inevitable truth.  

"But I don't intend to marry the man they chose. And so, I'd still not accept it. I know that I shouldn't expect much from you. But still, I couldn't just be with someone else when the one I truly love is you." Ellie's eyes were pleading for her coach to believe her words. 

Lea felt so guilty upon hearing the young woman. For indeed it's true, El couldn't expect a bright nor a promising future with her. No matter how the Broadway star loves and cares for Ellie, she couldn't just let go and give up everything she has to be with the young woman. 

If only she could just go back to the past, Lea would've skipped out marrying Rob so she would still be single and free to love Ellie wholeheartedly. The Broadway star knew that having these kind of thoughts is unfair to the man who decided to relocate here in the Philippines just for her, but the singer could no longer deny that she loves Ellie more than him.

As it was Ellie who opened up her world of impossibilities.