Chapter 13

The rain still pours heavily as Lea continued driving along the highway

She had passed by a collision that happened at the middle lane which made the loud screeching noise she had heard earlier. She tried to look at it closely to check what cars were involved and fortunately, she didn't see any turquoise car or a mini cooper parked at middle of the road. Lea felt a little relieved knowing that El was not the one on that accident. 

The Broadway star turned right as she leaves the high way and takes the usual road going to their subdivision in Ayala Alabang. 

After a while, her car had passed over a small park just four kilometers from their village. There she saw Ellie's car parked at the opposite side of the street. She stopped for a while, trying to check what the young woman is doing inside her car, only to see the driver's seat empty. Lea grabbed an umbrella from her glove compartment as she exits out of her car. She approached her protege's mini cooper. The engine's still running with its hand break on. She tried to look around on where El might possibly be. 

As she turned her gaze on the small park, she saw a silhouette sitting on the swings, with her head bowed down. It was Ellie. She could not mistake her for anybody else. 

Lea was at a loss when she saw Ellie's state right now. This was the first time she saw her protege with her spirits low, after the scene they had with the hospital back then. Ellie's eyes shows a sign of defeat. Even with the sound of heavy downpour, the Broadway star could hear Ellie's sobs. Her heart is being torn to pieces to see her like this.

Somehow, she feels guilty as she realized she might be the reason behind El wanting to soak herself in this bad weather. If she just hadn't acted cold towards her, if she just didn't disconnect their call and continued driving with normal pace to make sure El is just right behind her, if she just didn't let her feelings get ahead of her, they both might've been feeling okay and drove straight home without any problems. 

Lea realized it was her selfish jealousy that made Ellie feels so sad right now. She wanted to go towards her to hug and protect her from the rain, but she could not think of any excuse to say on why she acted like a brat earlier. She also need to make sure Nicole will get home early as her daughter is dead tired sleeping on the car. 

Feeling disgusted with herself, she went back to her car, started the engine and silently cried as she turns her steering wheel. She could only pray in silence that Ellie won't stay long unprotected on this rain and that the woman would decide to go home soon. 

------------------------

The next day, Nicole woke up feeling refreshed after such a tiring yet fun day yesterday. The teenager greeted her parents who were in the kitchen having their late morning coffee.

"Good morning mommy, daddy." The kid kissed her parents as she sits on one of the stools in their kitchen table. 

Rob folded the newspaper he's reading as he inquired about his daughter. "You woke up late, I thought you're going to spend your day on your Ate El's house?" 

Lea's attention was caught up with the mention of Ellie's name. She nearly forgot that today is Saturday and her daughter had asked for their permission before, to visit and stay over at her protege's place for them to play and bond together.

"Yes daddy, it should be. But I saw ate El's text message earlier saying she was sick so I just tried to sleep again." Replied the goofy kid.

"What do you mean she's sick?" Lea already knew how this could happen, but still insisted on asking just to get more details from her daughter.

"She said she's down with a fever and doesn't want me to get infected as well."

"Aw. That's bad to hear. But your Ate Ellie's so kind, she still thinks of you despite being sick so you'd better bring her something good when she's better okay?" Rob smiled at his daughter as he picks up his cup and drinks his coffee. Nicole just nodded in response.

After a short while, Lea had asked his husband if she could go visit the young woman's house to make sure that she's alright and being taken care of.

"Of course, you don't have to ask me about that. El's like a family. Send my regards when you visit her."

"Thanks hon. I'll drop by after lunch."

"Can I go with you?" Nicole tried to test her luck if she can still go visit Ellie now that her own mother's going at the latter's place.

"Nope. El doesn't want you to get sick that's why she postponed your stay over there. You should listen to her."

"Aww..."

Rob just laughed at the sight of his wife and daughter bickering as both wanted to visit the young woman at the same time. It was clear that Ellie had brought a big impact towards his family in a positive way. His daughter had become more cheerful and outgoing ever since she met and became close with the young woman. He was not totally against it as El serves as a good influence to the kid. She helps her out with her studies, plays with her, and from time to time teaches her about manners and right conduct. Ellie is such a good role model for Nicole. His daughter looks up to her as an older sister, and he and his wife welcomes her as such. 

If it was only possible, Rob would like to formally and legally adopt El so she could live with them under the same roof, making Nicole's wish come true. But since they cannot, he just makes sure to give his okay when the kid requests to be with El. There were times that Nix goes over to Ellie's place without any chaperone, but the couple does not worry and doesn't mind it at all. For Ellie makes sure that the kid is safe and brings her home personally on time just right before the kid's curfew. And because of that, Rob and Lea's mind are always at ease.