Nine

Nine

As the sky outside darkens, I can’t help but let out a sigh of relief. I felt proud of myself as I made through a week without any unnecessary outburst like the first day. And, throwing my nameplate at him had been the first and last of my uncontrollable actions. I felt proud of myself that I was able to take all of his comments without throwing a thing. But, I still can’t help on commenting back an insult at him. It was a work in progress.

After I saved the worksheet on my computer, I closed all the tabs until I can see the wallpaper on my desktop. Then, I looked at the watch on the screen, smiling at time. I had finished everything early as I had calculated.

I shut off the computer and slowly gathered up my things and clearing out the papers on my desk. When I was ready to stand up and go, the door in front of me suddenly open, making me look up in surprise.

“Are you still working in there?” Hugh’s head popped in the small opening of the door.

I eyed him wearily and looked down on my things, grabbing my purse and cellphone. “I’m finished for today. I’ll be heading out early. I have a meeting tonight.” I replied vaguely, my voice stern and business-like.

“I didn’t see it in your schedule that you have a meeting tonight.” He pointed out with his eyebrow crunched together in concentration. Then, his face softens as realization crossed his expression. “Oh! You have a date…” He trailed off with a smirk.

He opened the door wide enough for him to enter, and then he closed it when he was already inside. “Who is the lucky guy?” He asked in interest as he wiggled his eyebrows teasingly.

“No one you would know.” I replied with a hiss as I walked towards him. “Can you get out of my way? I need to go now.” I added as he remained by the door, blocking my only exit.

“Oh! Come on, Newman. Don’t be a poor sport.” He complained playfully.

“Move away, Burns.” I almost growled as I stood an arm’s length from him.

“Fine. You don’t have to be so rude…”He mumbled in defeated as he opened the door behind him. “Lady’s first.” He gesture his hands out of the door as he stood beside me and bowed with his other hand on his back.

I gave him a sly snob, my eyes rolling in annoyance. And then, I walked ahead of him leaving him to close the door of my office. I continued walking, ignoring his obvious stare on my back. I thought he would stop bothering me, but it was too good to be true.

“What? No goodbye?” He called out when I was half way towards the elevator.

“Go to hell.” I replied softly to myself as I pressed the call button of the elevator.

I was saved when it open directly, giving me a quiet exit to the scene. When the elevator closed, leaving me by myself with the four metal walls, I let out my frustration with a loud deafening groan. I can’t believe I held that last one to myself. I really need to get out of here before I would seriously blow up.