Sixteen

A/N: Picture of Eric Collin on the side. Not so sure, but I love this guy form 27 dresses, and The Best of Me - cried on that movie. :D

________

Sixteen

I was averting my eyes when my mother asked me about the men she suggested I met. Then, like heaven had heard my prayer, my grandfather appeared. He looked casual with a grey shirt and denim pants. As I trailed my eyes down on his feet, I couldn’t help but smirk as I eyed the hiking boots he was wearing.

“Why didn’t you tell me you went down at the farm? I could have spent my weekend there with you.” I asked in greeting as I stood up and met him half way for a hug.

“I know you are busy, Honey. I didn’t want to bother you. And, I was only there for the night.” He replied as he hugged me back.

“You could have told me at least.” I pursed my lips in disappointment, though I was only playing. “Have you already eaten?” I asked after and gestured to seat at the empty chair beside mine.

“That is why I made the trip here. Someone offered me a free lunch.” He replied and chuckled raspily as he eyed my father. “How are things?” He asked towards my father.

“Everything is fine, Dad.” My father replied out of courtesy, greeting my grandfather with a brief nod.

“That’s good to hear.” He nodded back in greeting as he sat down beside me. “So, why are we having this family gathering again?” He asked after momentary silence between us.

I turned back to my parents, waiting for their reply. I understood why they called this since my mother already started with the interrogation a few minutes ago.

When they remained quiet, I let out a huge breath as I took the initiative to break the silence. “I’ve been meeting some people for the past few weeks. And, I’ve got to say mother, you should have interviewed those men before considering them.” I stated sourly as I remembered those failed dates.

“They were good prospects, Michelle. The ladies from my association had recommended them to me. And, those girls knows a lot of connections, and who are available out there.” My mother defended sternly, eyeing me with disbelief.

“Right, got it. But still, based on what I’ve been through, you should reconsidered their opinion on that part.” I said monotonously.

My mother was about to say something, but stopped as she glanced up at the waiter who placed my salad in front of me and offered my grandfather a menu to order. After that short interruption, she didn’t allow me to speak up first.

“So, which one had been difficult with you? And, I’m sure, you didn’t even give those men a chance.” She asked in annoyance as she eyed me deadly.

“I did, mother, at least two of them. Jade gave me a heads-up on the rest.” I stated dryly as I cringed at the horror of what might have happened if she hadn’t.

“Jade? Your friend Jade Carter, she knew those men?” She asked, looking a little shocked.