Fifteen

Fifteen

I took a deep breath before opening the envelope. I don’t know why I was so nervous about what I’m going to see. What was there for me to fear, I haven’t decided anything, but this seemed to feel so final somehow. I have so little time to spare. It was starting to get me on the edge.

I finally pulled the files out of the envelope, my face turned away from it. “Come on, Newman. It’s not a list of things I’ve done to you. It’s just a background profile.” Hugh stated sourly, making me turned towards him.

I raised my eyebrow in question, a little annoyed at his impatience. “This is my moment, Burns. You should shut up if you know what would happen when you pissed me off.” I threated lightly before looking down on the paper in my hand.

I heard him sighed in defeat as I pulled out the paper from the envelope that he had given me. It was a file about Robert Klein, which consist many on his demographics. As I continued to read on, I couldn’t help but pursed my lips at how little was written.

“What is this? Is this all?” I asked, looking back up at Hugh when I finished reading.

“Who is that?” Jade interrupted as she looked over my shoulder. “Who is Robert Klein?... And, where do I look for one?” She asked and paused for a moment as she studied the paper on my hand. Her eyes were glistening in interest at the picture that was placed on the left side of the file.

“I met him last night. And, yes, he is the same guy.” I replied and stated as Jade looked like she was about to ask who was the man in picture from last night.

“Goodness! I didn’t know you have it in you, Mitch. You’ve just changed my perspective of you.” She smiled gleefully as she got the file from my hand. “Now, let me read the rest… Uhm… He runs a shipping company, and export a lot of raw materials… He plays rich man sports too. I think I will ask my contact if they’ve met this guy. Why haven’t I heard about him? Oh! Mysterious type!”

I massage my head as I continued to listen to Jade’s monologue. I was about to stop her, when Hugh stood up from his seat. “I think I’ve already done my part here. So, I’m going to go now.” He said as he took a few steps away from us.

“Oh. Okay. Right.” I mumbled in reply as I looked away from him. “Thank you for the files.” I added in a whisper before grabbing my orange juice.

“No problem, Ms. Newman.” He replied with a grin. “Oh, before I forget. You have lunch with your parents, if you’ve forgotten.” He stated in thought as he stopped in his tracks.

“Thank you for reminding me.” I said sourly. I hadn’t forgotten. Actually, I was trying to forget about meeting my parents today. I’m sure they’ve already heard about last night. And, probably saw the photo.

Like to prove my point, Maria silently appeared with the home phone in hand. “Ms. Newman, your mother is on the phone. Do you want to talk to her?” She asked with her accented English.

I groaned in disinterest as I turned to my two best friends, who were eyeing me with amusement. I heard Hugh chuckled as I extended my arm to receive the phone. Maria handed it to me directly and went out of the room as I got it. Before placing the phone on my ear, I took a steady breath to prepare myself for the inevitable.