Thirty

I grunted as I sat on the stool by the bar counter. I waved my hand to grab the attention of the bartender but the effort was wasted since he was already walking towards me. He had a huge smug look on his face as he stop in front of you.

"Rough night?" Vince asked cheekily as he looked at me in amusement.

"Yes. But for once, this isn't about my dating life," I replied dryly, rolling my eyes at his playful manner.

"Really? One of your girlfriends caught you sleeping with their ex's?" he guessed teasingly.

"Ew. No. I'm actually currently sleeping with a man my friends thought was my enemy," I snorted and replied nonchalantly.

"Ah! Sleeping with the enemy. That is a big blow," he shook his head in disapproval as he grabbed a glass behind him and filled it with a beer. "I think this is what you came here for," he stated as he placed the glass in front of me.

"A beer? Really? I don't drink that you know," I stared at the glass with distaste.

"Try it. You might like the beer. You did sleep with your enemy and you thought you wouldn't tap those," he suggested.

I glared at him from his on point analogy, but didn't dare say a comeback. He was right. I stared at the glass for another moment and took an experimental sip. Vince watched me under his scrutiny and raised his eyebrow at my actions.

"What?" I asked as I stared back in question.

"Drink it, Mitch," he instructed with exasperation before excusing himself to attend another customer.

I stared at his retreating back for a moment before looking away and eyed the glass on my hand. I studied the champagne colored drink for another second and then took another sip. When I've gotten used to the flavor, I drank a mouth full. As I cleared half of my glass, I placed it down on the bar counter and turned around to face the bar. And then, I stopped mid-turn as some slid down on the stool chair on my right. I stared at him a couple of times before I could open my mouth. But he spoke up first.

"Please listen to what I have to say. I know I screwed up last night and I wanted to make amends," Robert pleaded.

"What are you doing here? How did you find me?" I asked in alarm, ignoring his plea.

"I was about to go to your apartment when I saw you walked right in this bar. I wanted to talk to you about last night," he replied, his voice quivering.

"Robert, we both knew what happened last night was my fault. You didn't do anything wrong. And you don't have to make any amends."

I watched him visibly relaxed as my words sunk in on him. "Okay. So, are we still okay?" he nodded stiffly and asked.

"We are okay," I replied with a small smile.

"Oh, I'm relieved to hear that," he sighed with a suggestive smile. "Are you hungry? We could head out and grab a bite," he offered as he stood up from his seat.

"Wait. What?" I asked in confusion as I studied the undeniable enthusiasm on his face.

"I'm asking you out for dinner, Michelle," he pointed out with a grin.

I gaped at him for a moment before understanding the situation. "Oh no, god no. I'm so sorry for that misunderstanding, Robert. I can't be with you like that anymore. We can be friends. I thought that was what you meant." I blurred nervously.

"I don't want us to be friends only, Michelle. I want us to be more," he said softly as he suddenly grabbed on of my hand and interlock it with his.