Eighteen

Eighteen

I tore my eyes away from Hugh, pretending that I didn’t notice him. But, who am I kidding. We locked eyes when I noticed him. I grimaced at that thought and tried to get my attention back to my date.

Robert had started asking me casual questions, which was uncharacteristic of him – based on his past actions. It made me smile that he was trying not to be a douche like last time.

“How long have you been working for you dad?” He asked in interest as the topic shifted from my fascination of the business industry to my work.

“Almost four years from now, I think. I went and work for him after I graduated.” I replied knowingly.

“Was it always your intention to work for your family’s business? Haven’t you thought of working for another company, or creating your own?”

“I’ve always been drilled since I was young that family comes first. Since I’m an only child, it was expected of me to follow the family business. Though I did thought of creating my own business, but since things are already settled – I don’t see it as necessary to start from scratch. But, I would love to know how would that be like…” I trailed off as I tried to picture an image of me making a name for myself. But, it was bleak. My family name would always follow every work I do in public. It was those kind of thing in life that you can’t easily get away.

“Don’t you think that its very controlling for your parents to have your life set up without your knowledge?” He asked thoughtlessly, but then he realized what he had said. “I’m sorry. Forget I just said that…” He apologized softly, his face slight flushed from embarrassment.

“No. Don’t be. I’m glad you can be blunt about it. Some people aren’t very open with their opinion. And, some are just too open…” I replied with a small smile and trailed off as my mind registered the image of Hugh just sitting a few tables down from us.

I snuck a quick peek at his direction, trying to see if he was still there. And, to my dismay, he was. He looked too comfortable in his table as he took small sip of his wine. I noted that he looked like he wasn’t in here to meet someone, which was my initial explanation why he was here.

“How did you get your father to hand you the job as president?” Robert asked, his serious tone breaking out of my trance.

“Ah… that.” I started with a smirk. “My mother wanted him to retire early, which was a shocker. So, I was given the burden a little early than intended. I was supposed to run the company after…” I trailed off as I realized what I was about to say.

“After… what?” Robert probed when I remained silent for a good minute, regarding his curious expression.

“It’s nothing. It’s between my family and I.” I replied secretly, hoping that we wouldn’t ask more on the matter.

Robert understood my lack of response to his question and quickly changed the topic. After a few minutes, the waiter returned and with him was our appetizers. We lightly chatted as we enjoyed out meal.