Twenty Five

Robert escorted me towards the dance floor and kept one hand on my back while the other held my hand. He slowly turned to in a twirl until we face each other. I smiled at his sweet gesture and he placed my left hand by his shoulder as he held my other hand in a grip. And in small steps, he leads me into a back and forth sways to the soft music. At first, it felt awkward as I allowed him to lead me. But I got out of the trance, as he lightly caressed my back in a comforting gesture.

"You are doing great. I don't think anyone is laughing at your awkwardness right now," he leaned by my left ear and whispered.

"Not yet, wait until I tripped on my own foot," I said with a chuckle.

"Then you wouldn't be laughed at all since I'll be there to caught you before you trip and fall," he smoothly said as he continued to sway our body to the slow music.

"I never expected you to be also good at flirting," I teased lightly, though there was truth in my words.

"I have many skills Ms. Newman, and flirting is not one of them," he paused as he leaned to my ear again, "I'm born with it."

I slightly shivered as his breath and words send tingles to my body. Robert was showering another side of himself tonight. He can be serious and gentlemanly, but he also has a playfulness and bad side to him. At this point, Robert has the upper hand with being the front line candidate as my husband. But as I think carefree and fun I had a few hours ago with Eric, it made me step back and rethink my decision.

When the song ended, I suggested that we take a rest and grab a drink at the bar counter on the farthest right side of the venue. As we got headed to that direction, Robert was instantly swarmed with people, talking to him about the charity and about business. Feeling like I've intruded his spotlight, I excused myself from and suggested that I will get our drink while he talked business. I don't know what I have said but it made Robert smiled enthusiastically.

As I reached the bar, I snapped my fingers to grab the attention of the bartender. Since the party was in full swing in the dance floor, there were a few people lingering in the sidelines with drinks in hand. I quickly ordered Robert's whiskey and my martini to the bartender when he approached me. While I waited for him to get back with my order, I turned back to the party behind me and scanned the room as I reeled in the view. There was neither extraordinary nor dramatic happening at all. I don't want to sound rude, but this party was starting to bore me a little.

"If you told me you were coming here, I could have escorted you here rather than rushing quickly from our date," I turned to a familiar voice beside me in surprise.

"Eric! What are you doing here?" I asked a little breathless as my eyes glance general at Robert's direction for a second before turning my body away from his field of vision. I hope that Robert wasn't distracted and not looking in my way at the moment.

"I'm a journalist. I usually cover these events, sometimes," he replied mindlessly as a smile broke into his face as his eyes twinkled in realization. "Maybe this is fate," he stated with a grin.

"I doubt that," I brushed off his enthusiasm. "This is a small city and this event invites local business people."

"I didn't know you support this cause from all the charity your family is involved," he pointed out knowingly as his profession kicked in. This was one of the thing I hated having a famous family name. The world seemed to know all the facts about your family, but not all. They aren't yet aware of my family's tradition of marrying off the heirs before taking over the company.

"It's a personal vendetta. I don't publicize it," I lied smoothly, trying to skirt around the issue. My mind raced on how to get Eric off my tail as I get back to my date with Robert. I think it's about time I ended that date early too.