Twenty One

The second half of the date started after Robert escorted me inside. The exterior of the gallery had exceeded my expectation on how I perceived it would look. I was taken aback at the cream white themed color from the walls to its furniture. The counter top that housed the register was made of marble. The chandeliers that hang above us lit up the room like we were inside a palace. The mood of the place felt like we were royalty.

"This is amazing." I mumbled softly as I continued walking at a steady pace towards the center of the room.

"Some of the art works aren't up yet. But I'm sure you'll love the once that are already placed on the wall." Robert said as he stopped beside me and gestured towards a row of framed canvas.

My eyes blinked rapidly as I studied the painting in front of us. All of it looked different yet complimented each other. A few of the painting had a realistic take of a portrait of a woman wearing a classic gown that looked like it was depicted from a Jane Austen book. The other painting were in an abstract style like the once you see on your window when it rains.

"Please seat down. I think our dessert is served." I blinked away from the beautiful artworks and turned towards Robert who stood behind me. I finally noticed the well-set table in the middle of the room with two plates of cake with a glass of a colored drink each. The sweets and drinks were placed mirrored to each other.

"Don't I get to pick my own dessert?" I asked in mock offense but kept my voice light. I was still in a good mood. I'm not willing to sour it anytime soon.

"I assure you, you would like this flavor." He replied confidently and gave me wolfish grin.

I raised my eyebrow in challenge but didn't point out any further. I took up his offer and walked towards the table. I sat on my right and allowed Robert to pull my chair like a gentleman. After he settled down on his seat across form me, I didn't wait for him to offer to dig in. I grabbed the neatly placed teaspoon on the plate beside the cake and took a small, necessary first taste. From the color, I knew it was red velvet. And my expectation had grown a head. I have eaten a few red velvets in my lifetime. No one can beat the ones my grandmother cooked.

As the spooned entered my mouth, an explosion of flavors welcomed me. My eyes grew wide as I allowed the cake to melt in my mouth. I suddenly felt nostalgic with the taste.

"These are..." I started but trailed off as I caught what I was about to say.

"I know. It taste awesome. I never had tasted red velvet cake like the ones from my friend's wife." He interjected with a smile.

"Your friend's wife cooked this?" I asked, a little surprised by this information.

"Yes. This is her store. Though my friend is funding it." He replied after chewing on his second spoonful.

"That's kind of her husband to do." I sarcastically said while I rolled my eyes.

I continued devouring the cake like I haven't eaten one for years. Robert found my action amusing as he kept on chuckling whenever I absent-mindedly moaned at every bite. When we were don't eating, we started another round of conversation but this time it was more on the future.

"Are you planning on getting married anytime soon?" Robert suddenly caught me off guard.

If I were still eating my cake, I would have choked on it. But I wasn't. My mouth was free of obstruction that might cause me to throw anything up. I cleared my constricted airway before replying.

"Maybe in the future..."

"How near in the future are we talking about?" He countered after my reply.