Twenty Two

Faintly in the distant, I could hear an annoying beeping sound near my right ear. I clawed the origin of the sound away with my right hand but I didn't expect a different reaction from it.

"I never thought you'd resort to violence first thing in the morning." A familiar deep voice hissed on the right side on my bed.

In reaction to the sound, my eyes flew open as I flipped on my back. In the back of my head, I was trying to process my current location. I squinted my eyes when a bright light greeted me. I rubbed on it a few times and waited for it to adjust.

"Good morning puffy face. You currently have two hours to get ready for your nine thirty meeting this morning." Hugh stated as he comfortable sat on the edge on my bed.

It bounced a few times before it settle, which was enough time for me to get my bearings. "What are you doing in my room?" my voice slightly cracked at my dry throat.

"Drink some water before you start scolding me," he suggested as he pointed towards my bedside table.

I glared at him as I moved a little further away from him as I grabbed my silk blanket to cover me. When he pointed at the direction of the water, I tore my eyes from him and looked at the clear glass of water placed on top of my bedside table. I regarded it for a moment before picking it up for a sip.

"Since you are spunky enough, you should get out of bed and clean up. Your breakfast is already on the table. I will meet you there." Hugh said as he stood up and retreated towards the door.

"Thank you," I said under my breath.

"What did you say something?" He paused by the door, holding it open.

"Nothing. I will shower now. Please get out of my room." I grumbled in reply, placing the glass of water back on my bedside table.

The end of his lips twitched in amusement but he didn't quipped back a witty reply. He gave me a curt nod as he finally closed the door behind him. When I was sure he was gone, I hurriedly got out of my bed towards the bathroom. I took my time in the bathroom and applied all moisturizer and facial product I had for my skin to look rejuvenated. When I was done, I've wasted half an hour of my time. With a formal knee-length cut fitted navy dress over a cream blazer, I walked out of my room clutching my matching white Louis Vuitton purse and pump heels an hour later.

As I entered the living room, it took me a moment to spot Hugh, who was sitting on the other side of the room by the kitchen counter. He hadn't noticed my entrance as he gulped down his drink. With a deep breath, I walked towards him. He finally turned when my heels clunked as I stepped on the uncarpeted floor of the living room.

"What took you so...?" he trailed off as his eyes studied me form head to toe. "You look ready for battle," he said under his breath but the room was silence enough for me to overhear.

"Did you leave some for me?" I ignored his comment and joined him by the island counter.

"No. You have a breakfast meeting in less than an hour from now." He replied without regard and jumped down the stool chair he was sitting.

"You could have left me at least a sandwich. I wouldn't be able to eat properly during that meeting," I grumbled in annoyance.

"No time to feel bad about it now. We need to go. It will take us about forty-five minutes to get to the venue. I don't understand why you agreed to meet at a different state." He commented sarcastically and rolled his eyes in mock disbelief.

"I didn't plan any of it, they arranged this meeting. And it would be rude to suggest to meet at my convenience since I'm the one presenting something to them." I stated sternly. I felt a little defensive at his remark.