Twenty Eight

A picture of what Hugh's favorite spot in the park looks like.

Enjoy!

_____________________________

Before we both could come up with something, the waiter reappeared with our to-go drinks in hand. I grabbed my vanilla latte and stood up from my seat. Hugh got his drink and looked at me with a serious expression.

"Can we just forget what had happened and what I said? I still would like to take you to my favorite spot in the park," he offered softly, though the tension on his shoulder was evident.

It felt different as I looked at Hugh's expression. I never saw him in any less enthusiastic expression even though we were fighting. He has a constant smug look on his face whatever the circumstances come his way. But at the moment, he looked dead serious. I couldn't help shiver at the cold sets of blue eyes staring at me.

"Okay. But we aren't yet done talking," I nodded stiffly in reply.

"And you are one to talk. You've always wanted to avoid this topic before." His rigid face lightened up a little as he gave me a small smile.

"Well lead the way." I gestured ahead of him towards the inner part of the park.

He walked on ahead as he allowed me to trail behind him. I scanned the surrounding and glanced back at the café. I let out a sigh when I saw that there weren't bystanders sitting outside with us. From the topic we were talking, it would be embarrassing that we had a witness from our little outbursts.

Hugh continued walking towards the man-made pond in the middle of the park. The silence between us took some of the edge off from out little banter a few minutes ago. I knew that I would avoid the topic as much as I can before. But now that I had the other party talking, I want to talk about it now. He never once approached me for the past two years. Not a message or even asked anyone to pass along the apology that I wanted to hear. Nothing. My rage slowly builds up for his indifference. And now, he suddenly appeared in my life like what he did two years ago didn't happened.

I tore my eyes away from the back of his head and glanced around the park. There weren't many visitors in sight, which made the park looked abandoned. And it settled on me that we were mostly alone. I slowed down my pace as I placed a little distance from Hugh. In a few seconds, he stopped and turned to face me. I was a good two meters away from him.

"Why are you walking so far behind?" he called out as he stood underneath a huge oak tree with a wooden benched seated underneath it. He waved his hand as he urged me to move faster.

I quickly jogged towards him as I watched him sat on the wooden bench. "Is this the place? I thought it would be a little private or something," I trailed off as I turned away from him and face the view across the tree.

The bench was shaded by the oak tree, which shielded us from the sunlight. The pond and the trees surrounding us help gave a cold breeze as I slowly sat down beside him. The view was peaceful and breathtaking. It almost felt like we were the only people inside the park. And then, I faintly heard a high-pitched laughter across the pond as a group of children with the parent's came out and play.

"So, what do you think?" Hugh asked as he finally broke the calming silence.

"Nice spot," I replied with a smile.

"I know you would love it. I remembered when we were in high school at one of our family get together in our vacation house, you would go to the late and sat at the middle of the dock with your feet lightly touching the water. And I kept thinking of joining you, but the look of serene on your face made me stop and just looked at you from afar," he admitted softly behind me.