Twenty Four

Happy Reading!

——————-

I remember the first time I realized I fell in love with the man I now hate. It was like remembering that you have something in the oven while you lay in the bathtub soaked in rose petals with scented candles in the air. You can be in the moment of pure bliss but be constantly reminded of something you can't get away later.

It was five years ago when I realized my feeling for him. We were almost close to graduating in out first semester of our last year in school. I didn't expect it to happen, but when I realized it, I knew I had been in love with him for so long.

In that day, our family was going to attend a social gathering for a joint charity event. The venue was at a hotel that we own. On the day, I was busy with finals that were approaching in a few weeks. So I didn't spend much time with dressing up for the occasion. My mother knew that I have lack of enthusiasm in prepping for parties. Thus, she had me prepare myself in that hotel where the venue of the event was held.

When I was heading out to the elevator, I was too preoccupied to notice someone waiting with me by the elevator. As I got in, I gasp in shock as I watch in wide eyes when Hugh walked in.

"You look like you've seen a ghost." He stated nonchalantly, though the glint in his eyes showed his amusement to my expression.

"Don't sneak up on people like one." I countered in annoyance as I pressed the closed button of the elevator door before clicking the button for the lobby.

"You look different. I thought you'd be joining us wearing a suit like mine." He teased with a lightly chuckle.

I rolled my eyes at his awful joke. Even at that time we were never in good terms. "Is that the insult you are trying to pull today? I've got to say you became lax, Burns." I countered with a smug grin.

"Oh! I have a tasteful joke for you. But I don't want to start with those just yet. The night would be more fun if the tension builds up slowly." He chuckled in reply, his tone flirty.

I felt my cheeks flush at how I interpreted his words. What was wrong with me? "I don't have the rest of the night to play childish games with you, Hugh. I have better thing to do than that." I confidently said.

"You want me to do it now?" He asked lightly the glint in his eyes turned from amused to challenging. He took a steady step towards me while his eyes remained on mine.

"Don't you dare scare me with those words." I warned under my breath as I watch him take another step towards me. My heart was beating, not with nervousness and fear, but another thing I wasn't sure yet.

When he was close enough that his breath caressed my face, he leaned in towards me. In response, I took a deep breath and closed my eyes as I waited for any physical contact.

"What can you do in this close confide space, Michelle?" He asked as he whispered it in my ear. "I can think of a few."

Suddenly, my body temperature rose as his words and his presence made my body ache for the first time. There was a burn within me that I wasn't can be extinguish with allowing air to cool me down. When he moved away from me, I took a hasten step back until my back touch the cool metal wall of the elevator. It made me realized that I had so little space to escape him. With the silence between us, I've become conscious of the sound of the beating of my heart. It was loud and clear in my ear.

As I snapped back to reality, I felt my face flushed at the memory. But the situation wasn't the same. He was standing across from me as he said those words while eyes were locked in a blank gaze. I watched him for a few beat of silence before replying.