Chapter 1 - Surviving

Addison's POV

It has been a solid, quiet five months since the vampires won the war between the hunters. I still can't believe that the hunters lost their lives to a bunch of creatures that shouldn't exist. My family's home has been raided, completely burned down to the ground by those hungry bastards. I could still hear their screams of pain...

"What's the matter, sis?" I heard my older sister ask me. Her name was Natasha Connors, but I call her Nat for short. She was born a year before me. I was 20 years old, and she was 21. It took me a while to reply, but my sister knew that it was about the hunters losing the war. "I get it. You don't have to answer, I miss them too, Addi." she then told me before my tired green eyes started to tear up. I looked like a right mess. There was some ash from the campfire on my face which meant yes, we were living on a abandoned campsite in a little cabin. 

Our parents were among those who perished during the war. I had our mother's beautiful dark brown hair and I had our father's eyes. My mother told me that I was lucky to have such beautiful eyes and amazingly soft hair. Both of our parents had a fighting spirit within them, an unknown secret that was exposed to us. 

"Addison, we have ran out of water again." Nat told me, watching her walk over to me while carrying the container that we used for the water. I let out a small groan to myself, turning around to stare at her. "Why are you telling me?" I asked her.

"It's your turn to get the water from that cranky old tap." she replied before she handed me the large empty water container. I hesitated for a few seconds before I immediately went into action and walked out of the cabin, we were quite lucky that the tap was not too far to get to. I placed down the container onto the dead, brown surface and then tried to turn on the tap...

Huh. That was strange. I continued to try and turn the tap on by pushing the stupid rusty handle down, hoping that there was some water still inside. We can't have used that much already...

"What's taking you so long?!" I heard Nat shout at me. "There isn't any water left!" I quickly replied before suddenly some sewage came up. I started to retch at the horrific smell of it, reeling myself back from it as it continued to pour out. Turn it off, turn it off, turn it OFF! 

I covered my nose with the collar of my ripped blue t-shirt, forcing my body to go back towards the tap and turned it off. I then collapsed down onto the ground, breathing heavily. God...

"What the fuck was that?" Natasha asked me, making me jump slightly at her voice. I then started to stand myself up, before Nat grabbed my arm and started to help me. I was glad to have a sister like her. 

"Sewage..." I told her, my voice muffled because I was still holding my shirt against my nose.

"So we are going to be on the run again...-"

Suddenly, we heard some sticks snapping from a small distance which alarmed the both of us. I moved my shirt away from my nose before I snapped into action again and began to run from whoever was looking after us. It can't have been the vampires, surely...

We ran into the closest woods, hoping that we would lose them. Nat was slightly behind me, and I was in front of her as we were heading towards a large tree...with a rope tied around it...

As soon as I recognised what it was, I yelled; "TRAP!!"  before I heard my sister scream suddenly which made me turn around to see that she was struggling against a vampire's hold. I widened my eyes, not knowing what to do. I wasn't exactly trained enough for situations like this. 

"Run, Addison! Live for me..." she spoke her last words to me before I turned around again and ran away with tears streaming down my face. I was pretty sure that she was going to be killed. 

I heard her scream out in pain, which made me run much faster than I ever did before. I had to survive this. I had to. For the sake of my family.

// Sorry if there was some tiny errors in this first chapter of the book.