Chapter 19

"Argh-" I growled as I wore the tight dress. It was way too tight for me but I couldn't complain about it. Mom looked so happy when she handed it to me. Finally I was able to close the zip at the back of the dress which made me breathless. "Oh God-"

Mom came inside the room and examined the dress. "It's gorgeous!" She clasped her hands with a huge grin on her face.

My mouth turned into a smile and I tried not to shriek. I couldn't breathe properly which made me want to cry but seeing mom's face was enough to make me happy.

"Something wrong?" She asked but my head shook. She told me to sit down on the chair and I did. Next she took out a box of small hair-rollers which made me wonder what she'd do with them.

"What's the feature you love the most about David?" Her hand landed on my shoulder.

His best feature. I loved everything about David. His eyes, smile, nose, his charming dimples and those flawless hair. "Everything about him is perfect."

She laughed at my response and ruffled my hair. "You're still such a child."

She took out a hair roller and put a strand of my hair around it. It was rolled and then the hair were stuck to it. She continued doing the same with the rest of the hair. "Now wait for at least twenty minutes." Finally she applied a hair spray on them. I stared at her with fascination.

"Oh come on, don't look at me like that. Your mom is a fine hairdresser!" She let out a chuckle, making me smile. The door opened and dad entered the room.

"Hey ladies!" He said cheerfully and gazed at me with wide eyes. "You've turned my house into a salon. Is there something I should know?"

Mom nodded excitedly and told dad about my so-called date with David.

"Is that true?!" He said, surprised. He couldn't believe it and it was clear from his expression.

"Now, leave the girl alone. She's already tired of answering these questions." Mom pushed him out of the room "I'll leave you alone for a while." She left the room and closed the door behind her.

My chest was hurting me so much, it was hard to bear this dress. I just wanted to take it off and throw it away but then that would make me an animal and I'd hurt my mom's feelings.

~

"I've got to remove this gently." Her hands delicately removed the hair-rollers. She fixed my hair after removing the rollers and requested me to look at myself in the mirror.

My eyes couldn't believe what they saw in front of them. I screamed with joy. "Oh my god! My hair, they look just like David's!"

Mom giggled. "They do!"

I hugged her. "Thank you so much! I can't wait to show them to David. He'll be jealous."

"Your father will drop you at David's place. Just call him when you want him to pick you-"

"Mom! I'm not a child anymore." I held her shoulders and her eyes became watery.

"God. You've grown." She rubbed her eyes.

"Mommy, don't cry. I'm still your little girl." She caused me to become emotional too. Ah, mothers are so emotional and loving. They can touch their child's heart and then make them weep along.

~

I rang the doorbell and waited for a response. It was so tough to walk in this dress but I felt proud of myself that I could make it till here.

The door was opened by Maria who looked at me with a merry grin. "Come in!" She moved aside and I stepped inside the house. "What happened to your hair?"