Chapter 25

It was hard to believe how much everything had changed in a month. Brazil didn't feel the same. It was much lonelier than before. Perhaps one of the reason was that my parents had returned to England. When I reached their home, their neighbour told me that they had left for England a day before and had left me a letter. I couldn't blame them. They didn't know what I was going through.

The letter was brief and it didn't state when they would come back, so I returned to my own house. It was filled to the brim with memories of Samantha. My house. It was so dusty, yet all I did was lay the luggage in my room and flop down onto my bed.

I felt very strange. I was tired and I wanted to sleep but I couldn't. The thought of David kept giving me a headache and there was nothing else I could think of. I wanted to let my anger out but I didn't know how. As I was lost in these thoughts, the doorbell rang and I slowly sauntered to open it.

By the time I reached the door, there was a second one but I opened it and I was shocked to see the person in front of my eyes. It was the same guy who tried to harm me twice but he didn't scare me anymore. "Eddie?"

"Hey. I'm not here to hurt you. I just really wanted someone to talk to..." He sighed and looked down. There was sorrow in his voice and he seemed tired, as if he had been going through a tough time too. I let him come in.

He took a seat on the couch and I sat beside him. "What is it?" I asked.

"You remember my partner, Johnny? Well we both worked in a gang..." Eddie frowned. "For a long time we did bad things. We committed crimes, kidnapped people. But Johnny wanted an end to it and he told our boss that he wanted to quit. The boss shot him dead. Johnny was my best friend."

"You two kidnapped me and Samantha..." I said flatly.

He nodded. "Yes, but I regret it. I don't want to be the part of that gang. I want to be a good guy."

My arms folded. "Why did you come here? Just to tell me that?"

He slightly shook his head. "I wanted to apologise. I am very sorry. I shouldn't have killed Samantha. She tried to run away-"

"You are an animal." These were the only words I could say.

"I don't want to be an animal." He looked down and covered his face with his hands.

For the next few minutes the room remained silent until I decided to speak. "I've never had a friend who I could trust. When I came to Brazil, I thought I could call you my friend. But I was wrong. Later, Samantha came into my life but she left. Then-"

My throat ached as I tried to hold back my tears. "David came into my life. He meant the world to me... But I was wrong about him. He's a liar."

I quickly looked away as a stream of tears rolled down my face. I felt Eddie's hand on my shoulder. "I've been through that. But you need to stay strong. I'll be here for you."

"Give me one good reason to trust you." My hand quickly wiped away the tears as I averted my gaze to him.

"I've changed." He had a brotherly affection in his voice. I've known him and he never sounded like this ever before. He had grown mature now. "I'll never hurt you. You're like a little sister to me."

"You think I can forget the past?"

He stood up and shrugged. "You have to move on. Anyway, it was good to have someone listen to me. It's getting late now."

I got up and followed him towards the door to see him off.

~

Hours turned into days, days turned to month. Before I knew it, my hours turned into four months. Time was elapsing so quickly that I couldn't keep up with it. I was planning on quitting my job. There wasn't enough energy left in me anymore. On the other hand, it had become official that David and Sara were engaged. This worried me for days. I spent sleepless nights. I suffered from bad dreams. I couldn't do anything right.

But he seemed so happy with her. Whenever there was an interview of David on TV, he would mention her name all the time. His smiling face was still irresistible but I knew that I couldn't even see him now.

They were in Paris, but had returned to Brazil because David had to play a friendly match of Brazil against Croatia.

It was a dull Sunday morning, the grey clouds covered the blue sky and it drizzled lightly. The doorbell rang and I rushed to open the door.

"Hey." Eddie smiled.

"Hi." I replied.

"I wanted to take you on a walk. It might clear your mind and you haven't been getting out of your house much." He seemed happy.

He was right. For four long months the window has been my only connection to the outside world. Without it, this house would feel like a tomb. It was already as quiet as a mausoleum. The phone never rings and the door stays shut. Once in a while, Eddie would visit me. But there was no word from my parents. Occasionally, they'd send me emails but I never really told them what happened.

Maybe Eddie was right. I had to get out of my house for some time. "Okay. Let's go, then."

We walked to a nearby park. It wasn't crowded, it was peaceful. We both sat on the bench and he talked about different things to cheer up my mood. He kept getting phone calls but he didn't pick them up.

"I applied for another job..." He sighed. "I think they're calling for the results."

"Go on then, talk to them!" My lips lifted up into a smile and he nodded. Eddie stood up and went behind the tree to talk on the phone.

Meanwhile, I looked around the park. The calm relaxing shade of blue in the background supported the clouds and sun. The colorful swings grew wings as they merrily flew up and down accompanied by the little kids with smiles from ear to ear. But there was something bothering me.

The faint voices of arguments, coming from the two people sitting in the lone corner. I stood up and walked in their direction to get a closer view of the couple. The girl was crying while the boy covered his face with his hands. Though the girl's belly was large, she was still very skinny. That gave me a hint that she was pregnant. I walked a little further but I halted in my tracks as soon as the boy removed his hands from his face.

A shriek escaped my mouth and he looked at me. I froze. My legs couldn't move. His eyes widened and he tried to move but he was frozen too. Before he could come to me, I hurried back to Eddie.

He had finished his phone call and was coming towards me but I caught him by his arm. "We need to go. He's here."

"Who?" He questioned blankly.

"David."

_______________

A/N

THANK YOU SO MUCH for all the votes and comments! All of you guys deserve a huge jar of chocolate chip cookies! Love you all! ❤️❤️❤️

Also once again, thanks to bookloverforever101 for editing this chapter!