Chapter 15

"What do you mean?" I started to have a weird feeling in my stomach, as though butterflies were fluttering in my stomach, seeking an escape. But his words had stabbed my heart like a sharp dagger.

"We just can't be together." David looked down and shut his eyes tightly.

"No. Tell me, why?" My grip on his arm tightened and he looked down at me with those charming brown eyes. His expression was telling me that he didn't expect me to be that strong. "Is it because I'm just an ordinary girl and you're a huge football player?"

David raised an eyebrow. "What? No! How could you even think that?"

I could feel my cheeks heat up. "Then why?"

"It's better if we forget everything that happened. Alright?" He moved away his hand. "I'll tell Maria to serve the dinner. You must be hungry." He got on his feet and left the room.

Was he playing with my feelings? If he knew I was helpless, why would he do this to me?

I stood up and sauntered around the large room. The pictures kept on top of the book shelf caught my eye, even though they were slightly hidden. Upon seeing them, I let out a small gasp. I grabbed one of the pictures that broke my heart. It was David, looking so happy, his cheeks flushed and his eyes shining with that bright huge smile. Beside him stood a girl.

She was tall and was definitely very beautiful. She had long dark hair and a slight tan skin which suited her. But one thing that bothered me the most was that David's arms were wrapped around her waist. Who was this girl and why was there jealousy burning inside of me?

"Miss." The voice interrupted me and I quickly placed the picture on top of the shelf. "The dinner is ready."

I nodded and followed her to the dining room which was upstairs and I was greatly fascinated by this penthouse. Most of the rooms had the glass walls from which the whole view of outside was visible. The dining room was occupied by a small dining table and some other furniture.

"Where is David?" I asked with hesitation.

Maria gave me a troubled smile. "I tried knocking on his door but he told me to go away. You see, David is a very confusing boy but his heart is very pure."

A pure heart. That's what everyone said about him. The girl from that picture came into my mind. Her smile, David's arms around her, both of them happy.

"Can I go try talking to him?" I sighed.

She gave me a surprised look before nodding her head.

~

I came in front of the door of his room and knocked on it several times. "David open up!"

There was no answer. My hand reached for the handle and I realised the door was open. Pushing it aside, I quietly entered the room but no one was there.

"David? Are you here?" My feet took a few steps forward into the room and then the door of the bathroom opened. David came out with nothing but a towel covering him.

"I'm so sorry!" I covered my eyes with my hand and turned around to leave but then he grabbed my arm.

"Wait..." He whispered into my ear. "I'm sorry for what I said before. Will you forgive me?"

This wasn't a good time to apologise. My cheeks started feeling warm and my legs became feeble.

"David..." I wanted to ask him about the picture but the words jumbled up and something else came out of my mouth. "Samantha. She's not here yet."

He let my arm go and sighed. "Where is that guy? He was supposed to bring her. I told him the address, but he never came."

"Maybe we should inform the police." I said without looking at him.

"Good idea." He replied.

I couldn't stand there any longer so I left his room without another word. I was embarrassed.

~

I took a seat on the dining table while Maria served the dinner. There was spaghetti with meatballs and a savoury mushroom pie for the main course which looked delightful.

"Is David coming?" Maria asked as she kept the glass beside my plate. She worked as swiftly as possible.

"Yeah. He's getting ready." My stomach made a low rumbling sound when I saw the delicious food in front of me. Fortunately, Maria didn't hear it. Gosh, I was so hungry. I didn't realise it before.

Maria kept a plate and a glass for David and was about to leave before I stopped her.

"Maria, I saw this picture of David." I tried to sound calm.

She let out a giggle before answering. "Oh he has many pictures, which one did you see? He really loves taking pictures!"

"Who loves taking pictures?" David entered the room with a cheeky smile.

Her face brightened up when she saw him. "Você gosta de tirar fotos. (You like taking pictures.)"

I started fidgeting in my place. He looked at me and his genuinely kind smile turned into a sarcastic smirk. I had a feeling that his attitude was starting to change towards me.

His phone started ringing and he quickly took it out from his pocket.

"Hey, did you find her?" He said immediately. David looked at me but I tried to look somewhere else.

He would reply with a yes or a no and wouldn't drag the conversation. His expression had started to turn grim.

"Okay, we'll be there." He ended the phone call and looked some what troubled.

"Areesh, we need to go." David quickly left the room before I could ask. My gaze averted towards Maria who looked bewildered. She shrugged when she looked at me.

"He's waiting for you." She pulled on a smile however I knew she was disappointed.

"Maria, I'm sorry. You had to make this delicious food and then-"

"Oh please, it's not a big thing. I can make more when you come back."

"Areesh! Come on!" David shouted from the other room and I hurried to him.

~

We reached at the same streets which I had seen in the afternoon. It wasn't crowded anymore but the police had occupied it. David couldn't drive any further so we had to get off the car and walk our way to the small house where they kept me and Samantha.

The environment became tense which made me worried. Everyone had the serious look on their faces.

I held David's hand and he looked at me. "Why are we here?"

"The police called us..." He tightened his grip on my hand and tried to reassure me.

When we entered the house, my memory became fresh. Johnny and Eddie... They both had captured us... They kept us here and then somehow David sent the young boy to save me and Samantha.

A police man came and talked to David in Portuguese but I didn't concentrate on their conversation. My attention shifted to the bed, which was covered with the white linen sheet.

I walked towards it and I slightly removed the sheet to reveal who was beneath it. My eyes opened wide and I shrieked with horror. For a minute my brain stopped functioning and I couldn't breath properly.

David walked towards me. "Areesh, don't just go and-"

"David." I clung on his arm and let my tears roll down. He wrapped his arm around me tightly. "Samantha is dead."

-------

A/N

So I would like to thank bookloverforever101 for editing this chapter and putting a better vocabulary in it. Hope you guys like the chapter! ^.^