Chapter 12

"The ball is in possession of David Luiz."

Whenever his name was said in the commentary, I would be alert. There were only two minutes for the match to end with no goal from both the teams which was disappointing.

"Hey, that guy with long hair is cute, what's his name?" Samantha kept distracting me but I managed to focus on the match.

"That's Edinson Cavani, now for God's sake, be quiet!" I was shouting at her but I didn't realise it.

David looked enthusiastic and bright. The way he performed each move showed his passion for football. For a moment I'd sit and wonder if it was the same guy who was talking to me yesterday.

He dribbled the ball forward, out of the opponents reach. He had crossed the defending line which made me a bit worried. He was close to the net but then a young, blonde haired player from the other team tackled David from behind.

"No!" I jumped from my place and Samantha's popcorn fell off her lap but I could have cared less about her. "God damn! Pick him up!"

"What about my popcorn? They fell too!" She gave out a sigh full of annoyance.

"That looked like a tough one." The commentary continued as they showed the repeat once again. "A free kick is given to David Luiz."

A free kick! Yes, it was an opportunity here. Everyone took their positions on the field and when everything was clear, the camera focused on David.

'Come on David, you can do this.' My hands clasped together and I closed my eyes tightly. My heart was racing with excitement. For the first time, football seemed so important to me.

My eyes opened and David kicked the ball with all the energy he had. The ball flew over the goalkeepers head and touched the net.

"GOAL!!!!" The words that were trapped inside my throat had finally received a chance to escape. "Sam! It's a goal!" The tears released from my eyes and I sank down on the couch with relief.

"Dude, you're crying. Don't get so sentimental, you're creeping me." Samantha gave me a horrified look.

It was David's goal. I couldn't help but become exhilarated when I saw his face on TV. He thanked God for the next few minutes as the match came to an end. It was PSG's first match in this season and they had achieved victory over Caen. Why was I so happy just over a match? This feeling was new to me but I welcomed it.

Wiping my tears, I shot a glance at the popcorn on the floor. "Sam, clean this. I won't live in this filth."

She cleaned the popcorn and staggered her feet to the kitchen. I heard her say "Curse this" under her breath and this was what she always said when I told her to do something. I got used to it.

We spent the next few minutes watching the highlights but all my mind could think about was that curly haired weirdo who I was so fond of.

"You're phone is ringing."

I snapped out of my thoughts and gazed at the phone which had an unusual foreign number written on it.

I grabbed the phone and pressed the answer button. "Hello?"

"Areesh! We won this!"

I stiffened upon hearing his voice. I could feel my heart racing again and my cheeks turning hot.

"You...were amazing." I bit my lip and I felt Samantha's eyes on me.

He let out a laugh "Was I?" David was panting on the other end of the phone. Of course he was tired but he sounded thrilled as if he never expected this to happen. "I knew you would watch it."

There was a ring on the door and Samantha got up to open the door. Usually I would be the one to do that but since she saw me talking to David, she was the one to open it.

Her hand reached for the handle and the door flew open. "What took you so fucking long?!"

I quickly stood up and turned around to see the people who I feared. Samantha moved back and touched the wall behind her.

"Areesh? Is everything alright?" On the phone, David became serious. "Talk to me!"

"David, it's them." I mumbled as the phone slipped from my hand and dropped on the floor. My mind went completely blank.

The two of them surrounded Samantha but she screamed on top of her lungs. "Areesh! Run!"

They looked in my direction. It was too late. The window was open so I reached for it but one of them caught my arm.

"Hey Eddie, the girl's fine." This guy was the one who I thought was Samantha's boyfriend. He had brunette hair, hazel eyes and a scar on his cheek which made him look unsightly. I was trying to pull back but his hand was strong. I had no other choice but to bite his hand. I sank my teeth into his skin and he screamed in pain.

"Johnny!" Eddie came rushing. He pulled my hair, trying to make me leave the guy named Johnny. It was painful and he succeeded this time. Johnny moved back and fell on the floor. His hand was bloodied. I could taste his blood in my mouth.

"Ah! Bitch! Look what you did!" He got up and slapped me with his other hand.

"Leave her!" His arm was grabbed by Samantha but he pushed her.

"What do you want from me!" I cried out in agony.

"We want money. And we get it by selling bitches like you." Eddie tightened his grip on my wrist.

"But what did I do to deserve this?"

Eddie laughed. "Little innocent Areesh. You were my target ever since I saw you at the airport. Your dark eyes, tempting lips and beautiful hair. I always knew I'd get a good price for you." His free hand touched my cheek but I moved my face away from it.

"Eddie! Shame yourself! Have some mercy on her you moron!" I had never heard Samantha sound like this. Her voice was full of sympathy and boldness.

"Samantha, look at yourself. You're not a bad stuff yourself. Areesh won't go alone, will she?" Johnny tied a rope around her wrists.

"Leave her!" My vision became blurry as the tears rolled down from my eyes. All I ever wanted was a normal life. Was it so hard to have one? If David was here. If only he was here. This would have never happened.

"Johnny, look. There's someone on the phone." Eddie pointed at my phone which lied on the floor.

He picked up the phone and turned on the speaker. "Who the hell is this?" He said.

"Leave her!" David shouted. Even though he was raging, listening to his voice calmed me down a bit.

"Let me speak to him please." I sobbed. Johnny held the phone near my mouth.

"David. You don't have to worry. Please don't get yourself into this. You don't have to come back here." More tears rolled down my cheek.

"No! I'm coming back!"

"Enough talk!" Johnny moved the phone and ended the call.

This could've been the last time I spoke to David.

----------