Chapter 6

The match was in two hours and I got ready. I felt excited. I would have never imagined that I would be so interested in football. It all felt like a dream.

I was fixing my hair, just then my phone started ringing and I answered it.

"Hello!" I said cheerfully, thinking it was David.

"Hello Miss Areesh."

It took me two seconds to realise it wasn't David, it was the head of the school I worked at.

"Oh! Mrs. Josephine! How are you?" I asked joyfully.

"Quite good but I'm unhappy with your performance. Why aren't you here? You haven't been coming since two days. Are you really keen to lose this job?"

She was right. Since two days I hadn't been to school. I had nearly forgotten that I was just a mere sports teacher.

Feeling very guilty, I replied. "I'm so sorry Mrs. Josephine."

"Can you come here right now?" Her voice was fierce.

"I have to be somewhere-"

"Alright then, I guess I'll have to fire you." She threatened me.

"No!" I almost shouted. I loved my job and I never felt like leaving it. "I'll be there. I promise."

She hung up and so did I. What about the match? What about the promise I made to David? This was so confusing. Nevertheless I decided to go to the school.

~

"Now give me one good reason why I shouldn't fire you." Mrs. Josephine stood up from her chair.

"Because I love this job. I love the children and I love physical activities. I've got so close to the students, I don't want to leave them!" Tears had started welling up in my eyes but I held them back.

She took a deep breath and stared at me. "Where have you been?"

"I was with my parents yesterday."

She gave a slight nod before telling me to leave.

I left her office and went to the school gym. My next few hours were spent at school, telling different techniques of football to the students who followed them carefully and practiced football. Finally the bell rang. It was home time.

"Miss!" Nathan came running to me.

"Yes dear?" I bent down and smiled.

"Are you going to leave us? Miss Claire said that you were being fired." He pouted.

"I ain't going nowhere! I'll be here with you guys, don't worry!" I patted his head and he smiled before running to his friends.

~

When I returned home, I was so ashamed of myself. I tried calling David but he didn't pick up. Brazil had lost the friendly match against Colombia and I kept on thinking it's my fault.

The doorbell rang and I quickly opened the door.

"Heyo!"

"Samantha?" I looked at her awkwardly.

Samantha, my online best friend and my old colleague, was a spoilt, red haired confident girl. She was pretty but applied too much of make up and wore clothes which looked a bit inappropriate to me. No wonder Mrs. Josephine had fired her last month.

She pushed me aside and walked in with her luggage.

"Nice house. Would you mind if I stay here for a couple of days? My boyfriend broke up with me so he kicked me out."