Chapter 29

David's Point of View

I wasn't injured. There were some bruises below my eye and some cuts on my arm but my condition was alright.

But Areesh. She was utterly unconscious. She had stopped breathing for a while when they had brought her to the hospital.

I just hoped it was nothing serious. My heart was shredding apart just by the thought of it. I couldn't protect her- I couldn't be a good husband. My red, watery eyes stared at the clock as the time ticked away and with each sound my heart trembled.

Soon the emergency room's doors opened and the doctor walked towards me. She placed her hand on my shoulder before speaking. "She's alright."

I let out a sigh of relief but the doctor still looked worried.

"But, we have a problem." She removed her hand. "We can either save her or only her child."

My eyebrows arched and a tear threatened to spill over. I brushed my cheek, and wiped it away. "Can't you save both of them?"

The doctor shook her head as an answer to my question.

I really wanted to see my child. And I couldn't believe that it would end up like this. Sighing with grief, I looked down. "Please save Areesh. I wouldn't even be able to function without her." I gave it a second thought and I realised that I couldn't even sacrifice that child either. "Oh God. I don't know."

I flopped down on the chair and buried my face into my hands. The doctor tried to console me. "I know how you feel. But there isn't enough time. Do you want us to save Areesh?"

My head nodded. "Yes. But would I be able to see my child?"

The doctor replied with a "Yes." And walked away, leaving me to wrestle with my emotions.

But crying once in a while wouldn't do much of a harm. I let the tears flow down my cheeks and continued to pray.

~

When the operation was done, the doctor called me inside. It wasn't to meet Areesh. In fact, it was to see the body of my child. I was given a mask, gloves and a coat before entering the room. As I walked in, I could see a small boy, covered in blood, lying on the small stretcher. He was smaller than the size of my hand and his nose was just like Areesh's. But the shape of his mouth was like mine.

I bent down beside the bed on which he was lying on and I didn't hesitate to touch his miniature hand. He was cold already.

"Hello, my son." I whispered as my throat ached. "I want to apologise for not being a good father, for not saving you. God will never forgive me for this. I just wish I had another option."

He lied still. There was no life inside him anymore. "Your soul would be in a better place right now. Better than this cruel world. And one day you'll meet us there. But when we meet, I'd want you to forgive me."

I stood up slowly and pulled my hand back. I heard the doctors say, "Can we take him now?"

And I just nodded. They took him away. I rubbed my red-rimmed eyes and walked out of the room, too.

I didn't tell anyone about this incident yet. I didn't want anyone to worry about it. But for some reason I didn't understand myself, I called Neymar. I trusted him even though he was really younger than me.

As I removed the gloves, mask and the coat, I saw Neymar rushing towards me, followed by his sister, Rafaella.

"David! Está tudo bem? (Is everything okay?)" He was panting.

"Não. Eu perdi meu filho. (No. I lost my son.)" I replied, sobbing gently.

Rafaella put a hand around her mouth, revealing her shock. "Is Areesh okay?"

"Yes, she's asleep." My legs had way beneath me, and I collapsed onto a chair. "I always let her down."

"No, you don't, brother. She loves you. And you love her." Neymar sat down beside me and tried to reassure me. But I couldn't feel better even if I tried to.

______________________

A/N
Thanks to all of you for the votes and the support! You guys rock! Also thanks to bookloverforever101 for editing this chapter. Hope you guys like the it! •_•