Still trying

"JULIAN!" roared Kate's voice, he stepped away from me and spun around in surprise.

"Aren't you supposed to be at work?" Asked Julian, his voice a lot calmer.

"Yes! I am! Until I got a call from our neighbours asking if I was ok! Sweet Jolly was so alarmed she told me I should check up on Claire!" Snapped Kate.

"Its fine, you should get back to work, it's been dealt with" he stated, she looked so tense, as if she really wanted to punch him.

"Fine? Fine? I come home thinking maybe some burglar came in and began fighting you! I could hear you all the way down the street! How can I expect you to look after 2 babies, if you can't even look after a human kid!" She snapped, she met my terrified eyes, a strange squeak coming from her throat.

Julian bowed his head and looked at his feet.

"I'd never treat our children like that, she's a human, its different" grumbled Julian, he looked at me, I stared at him in horror, tears trickling down my cheeks.

He stepped towards me and I cowered away from him, I looked at his mouth and shuddered.

Kate rushed over, she cradled me softly against her body, I slowly hugged her back, sobbing into her shoulder.

"She's a kid Julian, there may be a difference, but screaming at anyone is never helpful" she growled.

"You really want to stress me huh? You want me to have doubts about your fathering ability?" She added.

My whole body was shaking.

I knew he had made lots of points, and those points are why I respect him, the fact he never beat or tortured me, but that doesn't make verbal abuse any better, that doesn't make his power trip over me any less terrifying.

Kate didn't go back to work, she had left me after a while to have a serious talk with Julian, I sat alone, the sun setting outside, I didn't dare move.

I was surprised to see the orc woman come in, she had to duck, but sat on the floor and gently pulled me into her lap, she cuddled me and spoke gently, for once, without Julian around, I felt safer with a complete stranger.

"Sometimes people say the wrong things sweetheart, he's always been a sweet man, I guess he's been so busy trying to a father and husband, that he's forgotten to be your friend" she gently stated, I gripped her dress tightly and looked up at her.

"Come child, let's get some fresh air" she coaxed, she grabbed my hand and led me from the shed, Kate stood outside at the door, she gave me a soft smile.

"Thanks Jolly" said Kate, she sounded tired, I hadn't heard any yelling, she's right, Julian has been caring more about all that, but I deserved the hate, maybe if I'd not caused all of the chaos everything would be ok.

I should never have come here.

I should never have reacted to the girl getting raped, I should never have argued with him in that crowd I should never...

A clicking sound caught my attention, I looked up, Jolly was looking down at me, clicking her fingers in my face.

"Dear, self hate isn't going to fix anything" she gently told me, I stared up at her, how'd she know what I was thinking?

"Don't look so confused! I'm a mother to a very emotionally challenged teen, I notice these things" she laughed, for someone so huge, her voice was smooth.

Kate laughed and joined us, we sat on the grass and the two woman began speaking, about everyday neighbourly things, the weather, the mail, the traffic.

Julian walked out, I watched him warily, he handed out plates, he held one out to me, I was to afraid to take it, he sighed and placed it in front of me.

By the look on his face, I don't think they had a talk, I think Kate was berating him the whole time.

He sat beside me, I tensed up, staring at the plate, a burger sat on it, waiting to be eaten.

"You can eat" said Julian, his voice soft and tired.

I shakily grabbed the burger and took a bite.

And another.

Everyone had fallen silent, eating their burgers quietly, Jolly and Kate kept glancing at each other.

Julian put his arm over my shoulder, I flinched and closed my eyes, he stroked my side and began brushing my hair, I quickly relaxed, my body recognised those things for being good, it felt trained into me the way I relaxed.

I finished my burger, rubbing my nose and eyes.

He stood up and I watched him walk inside, he soon came back out, with ice cream, he handed me one, then everyone else.

He sat me on his lap and brushed my hair softly, he rocked gently.

"You'd think I liked this" I said, licking up the delicious food, it was too cold to bite.

"You'd think we're all a little tense" he said back.

"You'd think I was new to this" I added.

"Same" he chuckled, I sighed in relief, peace, the best way I knew how to make peace.

He hugged me against himself, Kate sighed, giving us a relieved smile.

It was almost disappointing when Jolly left.

"Let's not tell anyone ok? They'll gossip" mumbled Julian, Jolly nodded in understanding.

"Of course, you were just upset over a video game, ok, we know how bad the gossipers are, that's the only reason I'll do it" agreed Jolly, Julian sighed and thanked her, she left quickly.

"Let's go to bed!" Exclaimed Kate, Julian and I followed behind, I lay tensely in bed, now incredibly aware of Julian's wolf side and its teeth.

He held me tightly against himself, I wish he didn't, but I was to shaken up to complain.

The next day began the same, and then we did the fire drill, we just had to go onto the sidewalk, he told me about how, the babies would be first priority, then him and Kate and then me, it made sense.

He didn't bring up what happened yesterday, just told me to do what I want for a while.

Uneventful, with the fear still fresh in my mind.

Kate got home, she was super excited for the baby shower, apparently its tomorrow.

We went to bed with a bit less tension, I don't know if he was being honest when he was telling me that he'd hurt me, it could have been the anger, now he's given me a whole new fear.